New owner of an old 1997 SE 4x4

DesertHardbody

Hi all, just registered and have found this a pretty interesting site so far.

I initially registered to try and get answers to my wheel/rim questions and haven't had much success so far, but i have found quite a few other useful tidbits while searching.

Like the title says, I have an 1997 SE with 4wd. I've had ALOT of trouble finding reasonable replacement tires for it (265/70/15) and would really like to switch to an inexpensive 16" rim if that's possible (245/75/16 tires or so seem way more common). My question is this. Are there any common OEM 16" wheels that I should be able to just bolt on with some good rubber? The last thing I want to do is exoplain to my wife that I know nothing about buying tires and have spent a bunch of dough on stuff that wont fit. I am completely ignorant in the matter of backspacing and the like. I'm told that the 4wd part makes a difference. Thanks in advance for any help guys and sorry if this isn't posted where it should be.

I'm sorry if I overlooked an easy answer to my question here but I didn't have much definitive info on the subject.

Wecome Nevada. My '98 came with the same size. The newer ones came with 16". Starting in 2000? I'm sure someone else on here will tell you. Your rims have a 2" backspace.

Thanks for the backspace info. There seem to be alot of Toyota wheels available on the local craigslist and really just want to make sure that what I get all works. I don't want to make this harder than it has to be, but I always do.

I've run an add locally and so far the only replies I've gotten are for Toyota wheels with a larger stud size (1.5 I think as opposed to 1.25? on the orig.). That doesn't really seem like something that could be worked with?

I guess I'm just surprised that there isn't a group of vehicles which should be able to be harvested from to get what I thought should be pretty easy. So far there seems to be a catch to everything I've looked at.

I just want to replace my obsolete tires with something I can replace easily. It can't be that tough can it? Every Ford and Chevy out there has guys swapping wheels at will.

Hello and welcome to NPORA!

The later years of the R50 switched to a OEM 16" rim, I want to say in 2001 on up when they switched to the larger VQ motor, so that would be one source.

Another option is that the 265/70/15 is 29.5" diameter, 10.5" wide with a 7.3" sidewall but other tires are close; 30x9.5x15" (7.5" sidewall) tires would work as well and might be easier to find.

As fot Toyota studs being larger, I believe what you are stating is the thread pitch not the diameter which is what really matters, and I believe is the same and should work fine.

B

Uhh...I know this is for Isuzu but they've got some nice rims, this page shows all their rims and sizes and specs, bs and all that. When I began this post I thought all the Isuzu allow rims were 16s..and then I learned differently, only some of them are so now I'm left without a topic to post on except this feeble attempt at something relevant to say...check this link:

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/c-2283-oem-aluminum-alloy-wheels.aspx?pagenum=3

Edited by gv280z

265/70R15 can be found online all over.

If you have a discount tire by you they would have em too.

As for 16" rims. Search Craigslist. You may find some stock ones on there. Even stock Xterra 16" will fit. But not 2005+ Pathfinder wheels. The backspace is way off.

Using Discount Tire Direct you can also find wheels that will fit. I think they have a good return policy too. If things dont work out.

When it comes to Toyota and Chevy rims. The Chevy ones wont fit off the bat. The center bore size is to small. You'd have to bore it out to clear you front hubs. Most Toyota fit, but some have backspace that dont work. Best bet is to test fit on the front. To make sure everything clears.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Moto X

Now that I think about it I have Chev rims on the back of the Toyota not the front. Like I said no idea about the back spacing except my '98 Pathfinger has 2" bs.

Edited by kdj

Yeah, 700.00 was the number Discount gave me gave me (680 i think out the door) on Cooper AT3. Actually I just found guy locally who felt his brand new BFG Long Trail TA s didn't look right on his jeep so i scored a set for 380.00 (265/70/15) that had under 100 miles on them (the receipt from January was for 645.00 before taxes) so I figured I wouldn't find anything more dependable for less.

I would rather have the Cooper I think, I just like the look but for the money I can't argue. The other option for the same money(400.00), was a set of 235/75/15 wranglers from wall-mart......and I just couldn't do that. I imagine myself 6 miles off road on Mt. Charleston when a rock blows out that cheap rubber.

I just started the quest believing that I'd find some decent used sets cheaper than that but you do get what you pay for. In either cash or sweat and toil (and then cash). I had to bite the bullet but I guess I subconsciously knew it would come to that.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll post some before and after photos.

Edited by DesertHardbody

Those BFG Long trails will serve you well. My street tires are Hankook ATM and they have been great. But on the stock 15s I run Cooper STT which I scored for $150.

Nice score. Waiting for pictures!

Sent from my Moto X