Dash lights won't come on all the way/ Key fob issues

natures_child

Hey everybody, new guy here.

I purchased a 1999 Infiniti QX4 about a week ago, looking forward to some years of good service. I owned a '91 Pathfinder a few years back and I'm hoping for similar reliability out of this.

Two things wrong with it that I want to fix before I throw some bigger money into it and build a fun, off road vehicle.

1 - The key fob only works occasionally. Sometimes it will work when I'm 40 feet away, other times it won't work when I'm only 1 foot away. I opened the fob and removed the battery, scrubbed the battery really well with a paper towel and rotated it. It started working again, then a few hours later didn't work again. Any ideas?

2 - Some of the lights in the center of the dash don't come on, mainly around the stereo and AC. Sometimes, they light up, sometimes not. The LED display for AC works, LED for stereo works occasionally. Is there a fuse to help with this, or does anybody know how to replace these lights/remove the dash?

Thanks for any help in advance!!

try replacing the battery in the fob.

sounds like you've got a bad connection some where.

I'd down load the FSM (Factory service manual ) located somewhere on this site and pull up the wiring diagrams. sorry to say but you might be at it awhile chasing those demons.

If your building an off road rig though I say "oh well " don't need those lights anyway.

You might try cleaning the contacts inside the remote as well. If the current battery (or a previous one) leaked, the crud left over will continue to corrode the contacts for quite a while. Wipe a little oil on the contacts after cleaning them to make sure they stay clean. I have a flashlight that the batteries leaked into once, and it seemed like every time I picked it up the contacts would be inoperative, no matter how many times I'd cleaned it out. I cleaned it again and put some motor oil on the connection that was giving me trouble and it's worked without a hiccup since.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like U have a bad ground OR a loose connector in the wire harness for these lights, that is, if the lights come on and off.

If the lights does not come on at all than the bulbs are blown.

U have to refer to a Shop Service manual for instructions on how to remove the panels on the dash.