cold air/ ECU ?

joshboy22

I have been looking for a cold air intake for my 92 Pathfinder. A friend of mine was telling me that you don't get any benefits unless you tune your ECU. Would I have to buy a programmer? Or could I take it somewhere to get done..... I have also seen resistors on ebay claiming to "unleash the ECU's full potential" has anyone tried one is there any truth to it?

Thanks

A K&N 33-2031-2 drop in filter http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2031-2 Freely flows over 400 CFM (450 @ 1.5" H2o restriction) http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/33-2031-2.pdf This would be sufficent up to 300 HP. (choose your favorite CFM to HP calcuator and plug the numbers in)

For reference, a stock vg33er runs the same filter and only makes 210 HP so it can grow another 90 HP before air flow becomes a problem.

A ceaper Drop In is probably a little less than this but not by much.

The verdict; I stock is already High flow, it flows double what the stock engine even needs.
Now cleaning up your air box and deleting resonators on the other hand helps because the flow comes through the that filter much better.

All of the above, the stock set up works pretty good. Now, if you put on smooth tube from the MAF to the plenum and ported the intake you should see some improvement, but the air filter will just make it louder. Remember, you are only pushing 3.0 liters of V6 power, a whopping 183ci... ;)

B

All of the above, the stock set up works pretty good. Now, if you put on smooth tube from the MAF to the plenum and ported the intake you should see some improvement, but the air filter will just make it louder. Remember, you are only pushing 3.0 liters of V6 power, a whopping 183ci... ;)

B

And that's three liters of japanese power! Not german or italian.

The VG is a sick dog when it doesn't have a turbo charger shoving air down its throat, as was intended when it was designed.

Most aftermarket cold air intakes look proper but usually end up pulling hot air from the engine compartment. They aren't isolated enough from the hot engine.

Like people that replace their airbox with a cone filter in place of it? Yeah... that's a good way to drop 10 horsepower. Might sound cooler, but you're gonna go slower.