Cooper ST Maxx

PrestonBurns

Anyone familiar with these tires? I'm looking to have them as my next set and was looking for feedback. They're comparable in price to my Geolandars and have a more aggressive tread pattern.

• How do they wear?
  • Off road use? How are they?
  • Hold air?
  • Better than Yokohama's?
  • Effect my gas mileage any more?

I run the ST Maxx, as has been said pretty solid off road tire AS long as you are not a mudder. They are ok in mud but if I played in mud I would get a mud tire.

Wear seems pretty good, not sure how many Km I have on them but still lots of tread.

Zero issues with leaks.

Not sure on mileage, but my Pathfinder pretty much always gets the same mileage

I bought them to get a more aggressive tread and so far I have been very happy. I cover a lot of ground on forest service roads, where the condition is better than some paved roads to goat track, so far I have zero issues with traction other than 1 patch of black slimy mud. That took more aggressive gas pedal use but I got clear.

I don't tend to air down, and so far have had no punctures or loss of air,and some the trails I have been on have some pretty sharp bits of rock.

I guess the biggest plus I can give is that I would buy them again.

I'm sorry, I cannot offer you any insight regarding the ST Maxx, OTHER than to say that I can't remember having seen them on any trucks around and I do pay attention to other truckers tires. Mainly I see a lot of BFG a/t ko, mud terrain (both types) Falken Rocky mountains, and Cooper ATP. I haven't seen too much of my own AT3 out there on the job sites though..oh and a lot of Michellin A/T

As long as you're staying in the all terrain tire genre, I second the Cooper Disco AT3, I've taken my set through everything from 6 hour highway road trip to fairly deep sand to hard packed dirt and loose watery mud, I've had pretty successful mudding session with them up to this point, also very good in the wet too. These I think have one point on the ST Maxx and it's that the outside lugs are staggered a bit, where as the big outside lugs on the Maxx follow one behind the other. I would put my AT3's up against the Maxx under any conditions.

When I finally decided on the Cooper Disco's, the only other tire I was really looking at was the General Grabber AT/2 (I still really like the look of these, and if you go to youtube you can see a jeep cherokee that runs them, playing with a Mitsu Delica in really thick, deep mud.) The only reason I opted out of the AT/2 at the last minute was the tire sales man kinda highlighted for me the rubber composition on the Cooper, and the fact that the General was based on old tech, old design, where the AT3 was new.

Almost forgot, the new Toyo Open Country AT2 looked really hot as well...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Grabber-AT2-Light-Truck-and-SUV-Tire-LT235-75R15/14964143

http://www.treaddepot.com/group/opat2.html

Almost forgot, the new Toyo Open Country AT2 looked really hot as well...

http://www.treaddepot.com/group/opat2.html

They really are :happy: I've had them for 25k and have loved every minute of them- quiet, great wear, excellent traction, low price. Everything is right about them, and I should get over 50k out of them.

Also on the ST Maxx:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/73251-Official-Cooper-STT-thread

wow these must me new.

Looks like my cooper STT with added armor on the sidewalls. I know what my next tire will be.

I cannot say enough about my STT. They are awesome. I went wheeling in the snow and everyone I went with got stuck at some point. I never even got close to stuck. They have taken a tone of abuse and have had some seriously sharp rocks take nicks at my tires. I bought them 5 years ago and they are still holding up. Mind you That I do not use them as a daily driver so I cannot speak for everyday treadwear. The are the best all around tire. They do ok in all offroad categories. They do better than my Mudd Brutes and they were a mud tire, However there are plenty better in the mud, just none as good in mud and in other category. They do clear the mud out of the tread easily. They are rock chuckers though. so anyone driving behind you will not be very happy.

Americas tire is where I buy all my tires. They will meet any advertised price and one of the only place where you can haggle the price down. They have done better on rotations than Costco. (costco made me wait 2 hours and they still had not done the rotation)