HID Install

SpeedyGreeney

Received my 8000k HIDS from Xentec yesterday, and installed them in about one hour. One very brutal hour. Managed to crack some plastic off of one of my clear corners (some component in the corner managed to get jammed in its receptor in the car), and is now being held to the car via two velcro strips. Good times. I'll probably just end up replacing the broken light with another clear corner. But, I am very pleased with the outcome. Looks incredibly mean. Paired with the silver paint and plasti-dipped grill... auuuugh :laugh: . Pics below, but as you know, it's pretty difficult to capture the HIDs true look on camera.

IMG_3106_zps23fcc787.jpg

They look good but the beam needs adjustment. I love the performance an HID gives...even better when they are run through a projector. It looks like you just replaced the bulbs from your beam pattern so just make sure you also take the time to adjust them properly so you are not blinding other drivers, especially the cops.

Not sure what the laws are in your neck of the woods but its illegal in many jurisdictions across North America to put in an HID bulb into a non-projector housing. The cops around here mainly go after the 'fast and furious' types so if you aim them down they should not notice you and you will get more usable light...right now they are seem to be spraying light to the passenger side and not much in front of the truck. The Infiniti QX4 came with HID and would fit perfectly on your truck that you can find at a JY. If you like them now you will love them with a projector housing.

I've read HID's don't perform well in rain, is that true?

I was driving around in a semi-heavy snowfall yesterday and I didn't run into any problems. As you probably know, the stock headlights aren't very impressive. Most definitely an upgrade in visibility and appearance.

From experience, the HID does okay in clear night and snowfall. But once it rains or when the housing slightly fogs up because of the cold, the light output goes down to zero. I end up having to use the fog lights to navigate. I only have the 35W system though, so its not as bright as the 55W, but it doesn't blind oncoming traffic as much. Nice HID install by the way

Is there an advantage to clear corners or is it simply aesthetic?

Just aesthetic, I'm still not sure how I feel about them for my pathy...

Edited by Karmann

Just aesthetic, I'm still not sure how I feel about them for my pathy...

Since you have yellow fogs, the amber stock corners don't stand out. If you get bored enough then hey give 'em a shot, it would definitely look good. :D

I've read HID's don't perform well in rain, is that true?

That might depend on what light color you get. Blues might be a problem in the rain? So 8K even 6K might be a problem?

I got 4500 and they are white, not blue or yellow. They work far better in the rain than I would have hoped.