ford explorer headlight lens in a pathfinder?

thorpe991

That's the one. It's not the best projector money can buy - if you were dead serious about lighting you'd go for an LS460/S2K or RX330 projector - but it is sufficient for most.

Put it this way, if the stock lighting is a 5, an HID kit in reflector housing would be a 6 - these kits turn everying into an 8. So it's a significant improvement in lighting, plus it's safer for you and other road users.

If you want to go a custom route, like you're saying, i suggest you go spend some time looking around HIDplante.com forums - it's the go-to source for retrofits.

Anyone who does this please aim your lights properly, I encounter someone pretty much every time I drive at night that has either terribly aimed HID lights or for whatever reason thought blue lights were a good idea. If I could get away with it I would follow them and smash their headlights out with my tire wrench.

• Like 2

Anyone who does this please aim your lights properly, I encounter someone pretty much every time I drive at night that has either terribly aimed HID lights or for whatever reason thought blue lights were a good idea. If I could get away with it I would follow them and smash their headlights out with my tire wrench.

Which is why i don't condone running HID's in reflector housings. Put them in a projector as they were designed for. Admittedly you won't have auto-levelling that most projector/xenon cars have - but it will be a damn sight more controlled than running HID's in your OEM reflector housings. Aim the cutoff for below the mirrors of the car in front of you and you won't annoy anyone. I've never been flashed with my retro-fit.

But back in the day, before I knew better, I am the first to admit I ran plug'n'play HID's in my LS400 factory housings......I used to get oncoming traffic flashing me all the time. Didn't really care. Then one night I was sitting on an overpass in crawling traffic, watching a sign attached to an overhead gantry on an adjacent overpass nearly 50m away......my headlights were lighting it up. That's how BADLY HID light sprays in a reflector housing. I took them out and replaced with halogen that weekend.

Don't be that guy.

Edited by SMOKEYR50

im defiantly going to check that fourm out this summer i plan on swapping my Camaro over to hid but since its a sealed beam where you have to change the whole bulb/houseing i have to get 4 lenses on the forum im on for that alot of people just run hids in the hi's and run normal in ther lo's ut im going to run 5000k hids in my lows and 8000k for my hi's

For the record, I think projector's are the devil.

I high beam flash everyone that I think has their headlights aimed incorrectly, and that's up to and including people with projectors who aren't on the same level pavement as me. But only because the headlights from a halogen equipped car at the same point does not appear to have two mini representations of the sun at the front of their vehicle.

My 2001 Impreza with standard OEM halogen headlights has the exact same sharp cut, without the need of projectors.

Edited by silverton

I can understand how if you get caught on a weird angle they can burn your retinas.....usually if stopped across from an intersection where the cars are on different levels, or if you have a car approach you on a ramp in a car park. But that's rare. I won't defend HID in reflector globes, but can't recommend them enough in a properly aimed projector.

There is no way you can get that sort of cutoff and output from halogens though.

And you wouldn't want to high beam me...... You would get 640w coming back at ya lol ;-)

ya with my truck i had fog lights that where actually high output spot lights and i had them on the visor so if somebody hi beamed me they had a wall of light coming back at them

This is my setup:

25" 144W CREE LED on the bullbar

30" 180W CREE LED on the roof

55W x 2 Bi-Xenons in the headlights

55W x 2 in the fogs

18W X 2 CREE LED on the basket firing sideways

IMG_2755_zpsd2fa74fd.png

Edited by SMOKEYR50

• 2 weeks later...

so i have relized that hids are a no go on my pathy but i can get lenses for my camaro for cheap so im going to do my his in hid should i get 35watt hids or 55 watt hids?

the hids i plan on going with are 8000k and i found a set with ballest for 44 bucks from 3 kings.com (i use these guys for my audio equipment and i am very happy with the quality) but they are 35 watt is that okay? like i said they are just hi beams so i shouldent be blinding anybody with them unless they flash me

Edited by thorpe991

If you're asking what wattage to use, you obviously NEED to do more research. Please do so before you sear the retina's of the innocent oncoming drivers, or melt your headlight housings.

im useing projectors so i wont melt them there rated for use with 55 watt hids and the hids are only going to be hi beams not lo's i was just wondering what ones would be better 35 watt or 55 watt

my one buddy is running 55 watt hids im not sure what k in his xterra and there the bi xenon and hes gotten pulled over twice for them on low beam so im thinking for brightness i should go with 55 watt

no unfortanly he isnt running projectors iv told him he should order sum but he dont care

if i went with 55 watt 8000k it would look like about 5000 - 5500k 35 watt

no unfortanly he isnt running projectors iv told him he should order sum but he dont care

if i went with 55 watt 8000k it would look like about 5000 - 5500k 35 watt

HIDs in a standard halogen housing, and he gets pulled over? I can't understand why.. especially since they're only 55w, that's like... OEM wattage isnt it?

And it just kills that that your reasoning on getting the 55w version is because your friend has been pulled over because of them.

Edited by silverton

well i just want whats going to be brighter since there going in projection and his only

cops here in ny aleast the town/ city cops are mean for use of a not bad word