Engine Codes

travisg

I had my check engine light on in my 94 wd21 vg30e and just put it on the computer and it read three different codes. It read a code 32 (EGR circuit), 33 (o2 sensor), and code 34 (detonation sensor or circuit).

I knew the O2 sensor would have to be replaced when i bought the truck and it's simple enough i just need to do it.

I'm unsure where to start trouble shooting the code 32, is it as simple as changing the EGR valve? and I do not know what the code 34 even means neither did my dad (mechanic for quite a long while). any help at this point would be greatly helpful.

http://www.thenissanforums.com/nissan-pathfinder/45873-95-pathfinder-engine-light-code-34-detonation-anyinfo.html

this is all i was really able to find out about the code 34 issue it helps shed a little light on the issue but still no help in solving what's wrong. any help is greatly appreciated, or even somewhere to start other than taking it to a shop and having them look at it cause i'm broke.

34 for would be the knock sensor. I would fix the other problems first as this code can be thrown by having other things wrong. The o2 sensor is easy, I would do that first, clear the computer, and see if any of them come back. The EGR could be as simple as a missing/cracked/leaking vacuum hose. I would recommend changing all the vacuum lines anyway since it is cheap and these trucks are 20 years old now and the rubber is starting to age.

• Like 1

Never heard of that, unless it is running so bad it is stumbling/knocking. :shrug:

B

If the O2 sensor is so buggered it tells the ECU to lean way out because it's sending a non-existant rich scenario. It could make the cylinder's knock JUST enough to make the sensor throw a code while not fudging performance too terribly.

Well, it should only send 0-1 volt ideally, 0V being the lean end and about .1V being ideal by their chart. Hard to go much leaner than that, but it suppose it is possible and that it might trigger a knock. Still, all the failures I can recall have been on the rich side... :shrug:

Do you recall the resistance Ohm value to check it for function, cold?

B

Well, it should only send 0-1 volt ideally, 0V being the lean end and about .1V being ideal by their chart. Hard to go much leaner than that, but it suppose it is possible and that it might trigger a knock. Still, all the failures I can recall have been on the rich side... :shrug:

Do you recall the resistance Ohm value to check it for function, cold?

B

Not without referencing an FSM. I've done so little OBD1 trouble shooting lately. I've hardly so much as driven my pathfinder over the last year (~500 miles) let alone try and fix any of its problems. Aside from the exhaust so I could take it through emissions anyway.