95 pathfinder crank pulley timing mark

mike123

I bought a 95 pathfinder from a junk yard that looks great inside and out. The yard owner said the previous pathfinder owner had replaced the timing belt but couldn't start it. I opened up the crank covers, lined up all the appropriate marks and discovered there were 45 teeth between LH cam and crank gear dimples. I reset the belt with 43 teeth to the crank and 40 teeth between the cam sprockets. All the marks line up and the teeth between dimples according to spec. When I reinstall the crank pulley, the TDC mark is off to the right about 90 degrees. Don't know what's up. Any ideas? Thanks from Hawaii.

Separate the pulley from the harmonic balancer via the six 10mm bolts and rotate it until it lines up. Furthest left timing mark is TDC.

Edited by Kingman

I bought a 95 pathfinder from a junk yard that looks great inside and out. The yard owner said the previous pathfinder owner had replaced the timing belt but couldn't start it. I opened up the crank covers, lined up all the appropriate marks and discovered there were 45 teeth between LH cam and crank gear dimples. I reset the belt with 43 teeth to the crank and 40 teeth between the cam sprockets. All the marks line up and the teeth between dimples according to spec. When I reinstall the crank pulley, the TDC mark is off to the right about 90 degrees. Don't know what's up. Any ideas? Thanks from Hawaii.

Separate the pulley from the harmonic balancer via the six 10mm bolts and rotate it until it lines up. Furthest left timing mark is TDC.

If someone took the crank pulley apart, just like kingman said, it could be reassembled incorrectly.

• 4 months later...

Were you at TDC for cyl #1 when all the marks were aligned? Who knows what the PO did...

As for the pully having more marks, maybe it isn't the original motor or pulley?

B

• 5 weeks later...

With the pulley off of the crank balancer and #1 piston at TDC and all timing marks lined up, there should be a line on the balancer that lines up with the pointer on the timing cover. Align this mark with the marks on the balancer. On my 95, there are seven marks, when all is aligned correctly, there should be one mark to the left of TDC and the remaining to the right. All should be correct at this point. The timing mark on the crank and the timing mark on the balancer do not coincide, they are about 160 degrees apart, which is normal.