My JDM Projectors ARRIVED!

Got started with wiring on the car, going to have a totally hidden fuse and relay setup behind the windshield washer bottle, surprising amount space in there.

Ignore the two screw holes, apparently my fuse block is nearly the exact height of the box "frame" section in the front end of the car, so when i drilled my pilot holes, i was right on the edge of the frame, i figured that out after breaking two drill bits and schering two screw in there, hence the wicked angle at which the block is at...

But i plan to run all my wiring through the massive hole that Nissan politely put on the fender, just in front of the fender next to the battery and just follow the harness as it crosses the core support, should not even be able to see it when its all done.

12300956146_c6cac76025_b.jpg

12300376975_8c7b68c7a5_b.jpg

Paint is there to prevent any future rust.

12300797694_64648bf829_b.jpg

And this is shot through the passenger indicator, should stay pretty dry in there. My only concern is the slight slit between the fender liner and the inner fender, maybe some water might sneak in there from being kicked up there from the tire, but as far as the rest of the car, the bumper and lower valance will protect this setup fairly well, but insulated quick disconnect's are a must, just got the rest in today, so i'm going to, like i said before, wiring all of this up to my stock setup and test everything, make sure the wiring i have in mind will actually work.

But until then, that's all i got, need to find some work soon so i can get some sheet metal on this thing.

-Kyle

I also advise you replace those relays with Bosch units. Grab a handful from a Nissan in the junkyard. Don't need to do it now of course but cheap relays won't last. If they aren't proud enough to put their name on it......

Love the Guinness books of world records, I think you ought to be in one for "most thought put into a headlight upgrade." :laugh:

Didn't feel like buying the $20 monitor holder to get it a little higher, and then i remembered i had these books! lol

And yeah, if you think im being anal about it, check out this dudes S13 build, http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-only/357297-broadfield-build-ls3-v8-time-aero.html

Guy is an attention to detail maniac! I use that for my inspiration, plus i just HATE wires, i went color coded to keep me sane during the install, but i sure DO NOT want others to see any of it, i day dream of tucking the fuse boxes into the glove box and center console.

Advise... redo the connections and heat shrink them. Those open cups on the end of the connectors hold water and corrode the crap out of the wiring.

How so? Can i just cut the shielding off and heat shrink the bare metal connections? and how far up the connector do i want to go to avoid corrosion?

I also advise you replace those relays with Bosch units. Grab a handful from a Nissan in the junkyard. Don't need to do it now of course but cheap relays won't last. If they aren't proud enough to put their name on it......

I'll eventually do that, these were cheap and came with a mounting point, next time i'm at the junkyard ill pick up a dozen or so.

-Kyle

The best way, I think, is to find some small shrink wrap to fit inside the connector end and shrink around the wire, then a larger piece to wrap around the entire connector and shrink down against the smaller shrink wrap. That way everything is closed up down to the wire. Or, yeah, you can cut the insulation off and wrap the bare connectors.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE TIME!!

Following the advice of kingman and others, i redid the insulation with heat shrink, does this look better?

12516404124_1bc54024b1_c.jpg

12516403014_2a6006766d_c.jpg

AND I MADE MY LEVELING HARNESS!!!

So proud of this thing, need to clean up the plug area, but its super nice, all nylon sleeving is the way to go!

12515938045_b0f67ba072_c.jpg

12516400844_a428b064f5_c.jpg

-Kyle

If you guys seeing anything i should be aware of, please let me know

Got my adjustment harness plumbed in, found a very convenient grommet next to the hood release on the firewall, ran it over the drivers feet and into the center console were i put my adjustment switch.

12558845543_65ee505917_c.jpg

12558734975_0086db5860_c.jpg

And the loomed power and ground for the motors..

12558733585_3e2657bcfa_c.jpg

I was sort of bummed after i finished this, because i closed the hood and realized it didn't look any bit different than when i started hours earlier, but that's what i wanted.

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123

Well, im relayed up and adjustment motors WORK!!! i hooked up one of the JDM lights to the adjustment setup, worked exactly as it was supposed to, im so happy! mainly because it worked first try and i didn't have to undo my beautiful looming, but i also managed to figure it all out, i have never under taken anything like that before. But switch is wired and illuminated...

12627799165_178ff438cb_b.jpg

And my color coding will save me a few headaches down the road, but i left alot of this stuff un-loomed because i wanted to be sure everything would work, and because the JDM projectors obviously have a dual bulb design where as the USDM spec lights come with a bi-filament so i tried to keep some slack to accommodate the different position of the new bulbs, but i fear that i may not have left enough, but whatever, i still have a ton of the wire left and i can attribute this to a learning experience and do it correctly when the sheet metal starts coming in, which now that my new work situation has come in to place, i can finally start searching out panels to get this conversion done!

12628246604_62088307c6_b.jpg

12628245144_7bd7e5b660_b.jpg

And the AWFUL rats nest i made for myself when i start putting the new lights in, which WILL be loom and full held out of the way, and pretty.

12628248714_00894b1ea5_b.jpg

-Kyle

• 6 months later...

Well, i thought i'd update this thread, because i have been working on it, redoing some stuff...

So after seeing some other wiring jobs on other high end cars, i decided to redo my relay setup.

I apologize for the shaky photos, my phone is toying with my emotions on a daily basis...

Started like this

15045452577_59ab9335c9_c.jpg

Then about 4 hours later it looked like this

15045451747_b1a45c6b0e_c.jpg

And then i had to figure out a way to mount it, i wanted in the same place, as before, which was tricky, and it still isn't technically done, it sits a tad too high (which i figured would happen) and is messing up the front bumper alignment, and still isn't quite right again the washer bottle, but some more massaging will done soon.

And then here it is, right when i thought i was done, turns out i had a brain fart and everything on the relay side needed to shifted to the right one pin, which was very annoying because its not as nice and clean as it was before, but whatever, it works, and still looks decent..

15045457907_829557274b_c.jpg

i ended up blowing the to headlight fuses, changed them and then started on making the washer bottle fit, i just hacked a little of the side support away, and its tight, but i think its down the wiring being all kinds of garbage, that will for sure be replaced when the lights are ready to be installed.

15228939221_7ef635e18e_c.jpg

SO that's what i have been up to, and deciding on if i want the JDM fenders, or the USDM fenders, still mulling it over, but i need to figure out whats wrong with my clutch and change my brakes and bearings before that can even happen.

-Kyle

There isn't direct access to that from the engine bay, the only major whole that is there is the fender hole that is to left of the battery.

Im confident it wont be an issue, i was running my old setup for a while, and even with the HUGE whole in my fender liner, there wasn't any dirt or signs of moisture in the area, the washer bottle does a good job at protecting the whole unit.

-Kyle

P.S. Just ordered one JDM power folding mirror, mirror switch, landscape headlight adjustment switch, and a JDM fender mirror!! So pumped, need to find the passenger mirror now.

There isn't direct access to that from the engine bay, the only major whole that is there is the fender hole that is to left of the battery.

Im confident it wont be an issue, i was running my old setup for a while, and even with the HUGE whole in my fender liner, there wasn't any dirt or signs of moisture in the area, the washer bottle does a good job at protecting the whole unit.

-Kyle

P.S. Just ordered one JDM power folding mirror, mirror switch, landscape headlight adjustment switch, and a JDM fender mirror!! So pumped, need to find the passenger mirror now.

I can see that spot just looking down between the grill and the radiator support:

NLOWcO.jpg

It's none of my business really, but I would recommend using an enclosure for any electrical parts placed outside of the cabin. :aok:

I appreciate your concern, but that still isn't technically the engine bay, while there is a sliver space for water to get it while washing my engine bay (which I have never done, and never plan to), it's still shielded by the radiator and the AC Condenser, so I think I'm good, if it becomes an issue. I will rebuild it, but like I said, I never had an issue is the many months I ran it in its previous version.

-Kyle

Yahoo auctions Japan, same guy and place I used to get the projectors, I had a really bad case of insomnia last night, so I naturally browsed YAJ and found the original autech catalog for the 96 year Terrano, and a couple of catalogs for the 99 year Terrano and Terrano regulus, should be cool, can't wait to get my hands on all that stuff.

Still on a hunt for a mirror though, the R3M-R Aero Limited, is rare enough as it is, so finding one at a wrecking yard be tough. But it's going to be MAAAAAADDDDDDD when I find it.

-Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this is where i get a little embarrassed...

ltsnotme was right, it lasted a couple of days before i came outside and found my headlights were on, all by themselves, i guess some water got down there and crossed one of the relay connections. I guess due to the crazy dry summer and the difference in relay position (much higher than version 2.0), is what attributed to version 1.0 lasting so long without any issues.

So version 3.0 is in the works, project box bought, perfect grommets found, and waterproof connectors (that need a crazy expensive crimper) are on the way. While i have a HUGE pet peeve of doing things twice, i'm super excited to put that all of what version 2.0 had, into a 7x5x3 enclosure, hopefully just two grommets needed so i can minimize the need for potential areas for water to get it in. And while the project box i bought, was just the biggest of what Radio-shack had on hand, and isn't technically waterproof, (it does have a nice fit between cover and main box) i think i'm going to RTV the box together when its all said and done.

-Kyle

• Like 1