Snow Chain Recommendations?

Karmann

So it's that time of year again, it's snowing in the colder parts of our country as many of you know. So I'm looking for some snow chains/snow traction aides for the Pathy as a backup for when I go skiing. I have 245/75r16 Toyo Open Country ATIIs on now.

Thanks!

I used to use the so called "V bar" chains on my pathfinder.

I don't know if they're technically for street use but there's nothing better.

To add to this, I just buy chains off Craigslist since they're cheap.

I'd say Craigslist, cheap, you should only need chains in deep snow. But in bc I know it's illegal (or atlease icbc won't cover you) not to have snow tires or chains if your on any highway in bc. In the end, snow tires and 4wd are the best for most conditions... Atlease I believe so and I go snowboarding upwards 50+ times a year and I have never used chains and never got stuck myself (can't say the same for my friends :lol: ) Just my opinion I know snow tires are 8 times more expensive

I have a set from Les Schwab I have never used, I originally bought them when I had the stock tires on, since I never use them I just keep taking them back and getting the next size up everytime I upgrade tire sizes. only reason I carry them is its "required by law" to have them here when I hit the mountain or random Pass

Looked at Craigslist, any brands to reccommend? I honestly have no clue about chains as I've lived in SoCal most of my life

What are you looking at chain wise? I have a set that are half cable/half chain that I liked for regular town cruising.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

What are you looking at chain wise? I have a set that are half cable/half chain that I liked for regular town cruising.

I'm looking at the "z-type" which I guess are technically not chains but wires? I really have no knowledge on the subject if any of you would like to educate me :)

If you are going to travel on plowed highways, roads, etc. that are not deep snow and travelling at speed the diamond pattern cable chains are awesome, available at Schwabby. For off road, deep snow real chains are the best, IMHO.

Edited by SkiBumBrian

I'm going with the V-Bar chains.. I will be ordering for my new tires soon.. 35x12.5x15R. They have chains in many different sizes and styles.

http://www.tirechain.com

(2) Pair V-Bar chains Front/Rear

(2) Pair Heavy Duty Tensioners

(1) Tote Large to hold them all when not in use.

Total with tax and shipping 320$

I want to go snow wheeling!! So for on/off road and two pairs is the plan for me.. I would not recommend anything less. For example cable chains. They wear out and the cable eventually snaps.

Those V-bars look pretty awesome, I might have to pick up a pair of those. I carry both chains and cables. It all depends on how you use your "traction device". Big beefy chains give the best traction but are heavy and subject to the centrifugal forces of said weight and normally don't handle much speed. Yes cables can break just like chains can but they are cheap, fit tighter, are lighter and handle speed much better. Like I said it is all how you use them...

Cables are mainly for streets with mild snow, same with diamond pattern.

Regular truck chains are good for streets and some wheeling.

"V" bar chains are off road use only, supposedly if used on the street they wear twice as fast.

I used to use some mild chains with an outer cable that held to the tire, they got my pathy through snow about 6-8 inches deep.

The "V" bars front and rear were a rough ride when not in the snow, but I swear you're nearly unstoppable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reccomendations, there's so e very interesting things out there. I don't plan on any snow wheeling, just sticking to the road, and need something to get me through.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reccomendations, there's so e very interesting things out there. I don't plan on any snow wheeling, just sticking to the road, and need something to get me through.

Then cables or decent light truck chains are probably for you.

I'm addicted to deep snow so it's V bar or nothing for me! P...

• Like 1

Remember to keep your speed around 30mph with chains on. My last trip into the mountains I counted about 10 chains that were left in the road. Lots of bungies in the road also.

• Like 1

Remember to keep your speed around 30mph with chains on. My last trip into the mountains I counted about 10 chains that were left in the road. Lots of bungies in the road also.

And if you hit 5,500 rpm the same thing happens. I got really good at getting those chains untangled. P...

Edited by 92Path_68CJ