New guy checking in from Colorado

jmol50

Hi guys, just picked up a 1997 Pathfinder with 166k miles. Rust and dent free with 4wd and a m/t were my requirements. I'll be using this to go fishing around Boulder County and camping with our growing family - we have a 4 year old chocolate lab and we've got a baby boy due in a month or so.

Pre-buy inspection revealed torn cv boots in the front and the brake pads need replacing. While I'm replacing the cv axles and pads/rotors, would I be saving much time by installing locking hubs at the same time? I'm estimating it will take me 5 hours to do the whole job. All of my DIY experience has been in the last year on an old Ford Ranger - I did all four shocks and replaced all the fluids (rear diff, m/t, transfer case, p/s fluid, coolant, etc). Do you guys think 5 hours for my skill level seems reasonable? What if I wait until the spring to do the hubs - 4 hours total?

One other question, how do I know what trim level I have? I know it's not an LE (no leather, no auto trans) but not sure between XE and SE. Does it even matter? I ask because the auto parts stores always want to know.

20131202_1348121_zps2d5637c6.jpg

20131127_0700351_zpsbe96bc7a.jpg

20131124_1644491_zps3c20b068.jpg

20131124_1541261_zps8a3b99d5.jpg

20131124_1541381_zps69365918.jpg

20131202_1545541_zpsc37f8986.jpg

Hello and welcome to NPORA!

While I'm replacing the cv axles and pads/rotors, would I be saving much time by installing locking hubs at the same time? I'm estimating it will take me 5 hours to do the whole job. All of my DIY experience has been in the last year on an old Ford Ranger - I did all four shocks and replaced all the fluids (rear diff, m/t, transfer case, p/s fluid, coolant, etc). Do you guys think 5 hours for my skill level seems reasonable? What if I wait until the spring to do the hubs - 4 hours total?

One other question, how do I know what trim level I have? I know it's not an LE (no leather, no auto trans) but not sure between XE and SE. Does it even matter? I ask because the auto parts stores always want to know.

Considering it is already jacked up, wheel off and you are right there with your tools, it is pretty easy to do and I recommend it as well as inspecting/packing/replacing and preloading the wheel bearings.

Hard to estimate the time because of your relative inexperience, if you have all the tools and a good place to work, rust, how fast you work, etc. I haven't pulled a CV yet, but I know I could install brakes, rotors and wheel bearings in an afternoon if I had everything I needed.

FYI, installing manual hubs on our 1999.0 R50 netted about 1-2+ mpg (keeps the front CVs from turning all the time) so it is a good upgrade.

A few tips...

Go to the Garage section and the pinned topic on Factory Service Manuals and download your year. Now, study so you know exactly what it entails before you do it.

Clean and lube the slide pins on the calipers.

Check out the Garage/How To section for write ups

When using the search function, use the advanced option (the sunburst to the right of the search function)

I believe yours is an XE or simply a base model, based on the interior, tire size and type of rim. I want to say 1996-1997 XEs came with the tire carrier option...

You can show your VIN to Alkorahil (Rob Lacy) who runs an online parts department at a dealership in Texas, he can tell you, and also happens to be the best and cheapest supplier of dealer parts. Oh, he is smart, handome and likes long walks on the beach.

But I digress... :lol:

B

Oh, if they insist on knowing trim, I would say XE, but it generally shouldn't matter for the parts they carry.

Alkorahil (Rob Lacy) sounds like a real catch hahaha

Thanks for the heads up on wheel bearings (my parts list is growing each day) and the FSM. I've also read and re-read individual threads on cv axles, brakes, and warn hubs. Before I did my first repair on the Ranger I must have read the how-to and watched the YouTube clip a few dozen times.

You can show your VIN to Alkorahil (Rob Lacy) who runs an online parts department at a dealership in Texas, he can tell you, and also happens to be the best and cheapest supplier of dealer parts. Oh, he is smart, handome and likes long walks on the beach.

But I digress... :lol:

:aok:

I'd say XE, XE wheels, XE interior/door panels, and no sunroof. But it does have flares! Which is nice :) I've yet to see and SE or LE r50 without a sunroof, but i'm sure they exist!

Welcome! And good looking rig, i like that green. Hope you stay around. :blush02: We've had lots of newbies post and then dissappear. :(

I'm still here, haven't disappeared yet :)

Plan is to tackle this assignment over the weekend but sub-zero temps in Colorado may push it into the next weekend. I don't need it to get to work next week so this won't be an issue.

Yeah it went pretty smoothly. If I didn't have a helping hand with the how-to open, it probably would have taken me another hour or two.

OK one more question… what can I do with my old rotors, cv axles, and auto hubs? Would a junk yard buy them?

Edited by jmol50

Yeah it went pretty smoothly. If I didn't have a helping hand with the how-to open, it probably would have taken me another hour or two.

OK one more question… what can I do with my old rotors, cv axles, and auto hubs? Would a junk yard buy them?

All useful help matters. ;)

There might be people who want the parts, but not many, for resale at least. Scrap value at best at a wrecking yard, but you can always try posting here in the Classifieds section under For Sale or Free. :shrug:

B