super lift uca problems help needed

oaklandpathy

Hi All

i have just finished up a body lift and new upper control arms and hohaa center link. i also replaced all ball joints and tierods.

now the problem

even at factor height my new upper control arms need 3/4" of washers to get even close to alignment. factory service manual reccomendes no more the 3/8 inch.

I am considering redrilling the holes for the upper ball joint and filling in the old holes with weld.

has anyone else had this problem???

thanks

Derek

1989 nissan pathfinder

jgc rrear lift with 285/75/16 hankook mt

I personally don't have such an issue (and have the superlift UCAs) but I remember people getting longer bolts for the uca mount and using washers (not shims as shims 'may' fall out) to safely correct front end alignment

Ok

I am not using factory shim kit i am using 9/16 inch washers for spacers. i have six washers behind each bolt( original uca arms had one). the six washers are more than 3/4" inch. this is waay to much according to the fsm.

i have longer bolts i am using 75 mm bolts. 4wheel parts is telling me i need two more washers in the rear bolt of the spindle and three more in the front spindle. this would be somewhere in the one inch range of shims.

i did rear on here where another member has 3/4 inch of shims to get aligned, but that seems like alot of shims.

also i am only about 1/4 higher than stock on the steering stop vs lower contral arm center bolt method. this only raises the front about 3/4 of an inch. superlifts site calls this a 2.5 to three inch lift.

the question really is

how many shims can be added before its unsafe? or should i modify the ball joint attaching plate as i described in the original post

thanks for the help

I dont have the measurements from 4wheel parts.

they can get it to specs but it will have lots of shims

the camber is the problem.

it will take about one inch of shims(washers) to get the camber set correctly. At stock height it will take about 3/4 inch of shims for proper camber to be set. The shop can't really advise me on the shims one 99.9 percent of the trucks in the shop are jeeps and the fsm says don't go beyond 3/8" of shims.

One inch of shims seems like way too many.

Sounds like something is wrong. My rig does not use 3/4in thick washers, that I remember. Matter of fact, I just went out and looked and I have two small shims in each rear bolt, and none on the front. I remember when I did my alignment, I had slight negative camber, but not enough that creates any issues. Now, there is also the issue of your tie rod ends. After I installed the Grassroots centerlink, my camber continued to improve. Have you done a base toe setting yet? I would of started with the factory shims in first, then align from there. Good alignment shops should have the nissan shims handy.

nunya

how many shims doy you have on your pathfinder?

I have stock steering components (plus an idler arm brace) and a slight negative camber (no tire wear/steering issues) with my torsion bars cranked and I believe I may bar one small washer on the rear bolt on each side.

Are the upper ball joints installed on the bottom of the upper control arm? or on the top? Don't think they can mount from the top but curious, we also had someone who had the lower ball joints installed on the wrong side of the lower control arm one time

Got any pics of the UCA and how they are installed?

Edited by ahardb0dy

i will post up a pic today. the arms had no right and left markings. the ball joints were installed on the under side.

i am going to measure them today and try to determing if they are on the wrong side. they didn't look directional.

i also lowered it back down to factory height and it still required 4 washers to get close to correct camber. but the tire will rub without the one inch lift??

thanks

so its excessive negative camber - wheels look like this / --- \ <-- tops of tire leaned in?

or is it excessive positive camber - wheels look like this \ ----/ <---tops of tire leaned out?

pics and more info would be helpful.