1989/91 Pathfinder ?

b1ndm4n

So i have a 1989 pathfinder SE and my neighbor has a 1991 fuel injected 3.0 that he is selling to me for $675 for the whole pathy. The only issue is that it will only start and run while spraying ether down the throttlebody, the parts they have replaced on it are the ECU and the distributor. Bad fuel pump? Bad coil pack?

The reason i want it is to put the fuel injected motor into my 1989 pathy that is TBI and the motor in the 89 is good, but i want more out of it.(and the fact that it is messy as hell) The 91 has front lockers (stock?) There is a "Diff Lock" button on the dash of the 91, so that is another thing i want to throw into my Baby.

Do you guys think that it is a good idea/do you think it would even work out well with me putting the Fuel injected motor into my 89 (swap the wire harness and ecu?)

I love my 1989 too much to just get rid of her/ let her sit not running in the back yard, and i dont want to make the 91 my main truck because its a 4dr and kinda ugly lol

These have a normal coil, not a coil pack (that's what newer motors with no distributor have), and if it runs on ether I suspect the ignition isn't the problem. It sounds like fuel system to me. Injectors, wiring, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, clogged fuel filter, something like that.

The swap sounds straightforward enough, so long as the fuel system issue is the only thing wrong with the 91's motor. If it's okay otherwise, and the fuel system on your 89 is in good order, I imagine it would work just fine. Come to think of it, you could probably just swap out the intake and wiring and leave your block and heads alone. I haven't driven a TBI so I don't know how its power compares to the MPFI, but I wouldn't expect a huge power improvement from the swap.

Front lockers? As in manual hubs? I'm pretty sure the WDs all came with auto hubs, so manuals are a plus. If the rear locker is in good shape then it could be a good deal.

(edit after some research LOL)

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

Come to think of it, you could probably just swap out the intake and wiring and leave your block and heads alone. I haven't driven a TBI so I don't know how its power compares to the MPFI, but I wouldn't expect a huge power improvement from the swap.

Front lockers? As in manual hubs? I'm pretty sure the WDs all came with auto hubs, so manuals are a plus. If the rear locker is in good shape then it could be a good deal.

Sorry i was confused with nissan having stock lockers, just assumed it was front lockers and not rear idk why lol.. anyway they are auto hubs up front...and about the motor i had no idea i could do that with just swapping the injection... but i think it would be in my best intrest to swap the whole motor because mine has 290k miles on it...and the previous owner ghetto rigged everything in the engine, took out alot of stuff they felt was "unnecessary" and it looks terrible. and i think it would be a good idea?

EDIT: oh and is it a problem that the 91 is a automatic and mine is a 5 spd manual?

Edited by b1ndm4n

The engine, ecu, wiring harness will all have to be swapped over. U could just swap the intake and exhaust manifolds if u want but the later W series engines have a few improvements...

I'm curious if u could take a picture of your dash? You say there's a button that says 'diff lock'. I've never heard of this as an option, I'm curious? Lsds wouldn't have a diff lock button...

Would the button prehaps say Inter-Lock? This would not lock the diffs but lock the transmition, so you don't roll back as you start on a hill.

The engine would be good for the rig but have you thought of the 3.3l swap, if you're going to swap why not do that?

Edited by Bubbley11

I have the interlock button on my 89 but the 91 has a toggle switch to choose "differential lock" or "touring" and I would do the 3.3 but I don't have one anywhere around here and the 91 has a lot of parts for my 89 (the.front clip) grill hood fenders headlight mounts and it also.has the tire.mount on the back and the locker...and seats and sunroof conversion...oh and the doors lol so you guys think that the 675 is worth all of the time ima put into my 89

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

Edited by b1ndm4n

Bubbley - The interlock switch is a clutch safety switch bypass so you can start the engine without pushing the clutch.

Post a pic of that switch, very curious to see if its a stock one. Its probably aftermarket running an aftermarket locker.

Just curious, why not just take the parts from the 89 you need to make the 91 the better running truck, your looking at alot of swapping instead of improving the newer truck that already has the engine, axles and tire carrier. Plus all the other parts. If you want to keep the manual transmission that's the easier swap. Just curious we haven't seen either truck....good deal though you scored the doaner truck so many search for...congrats

Just curious, why not just take the parts from the 89 you need to make the 91 the better running truck, your looking at alot of swapping instead of improving the newer truck that already has the engine, axles and tire carrier. Plus all the other parts. If you want to keep the manual transmission that's the easier swap. Just curious we haven't seen either truck....good deal though you scored the doaner truck so many search for...congrats

very true... I just like the 2Dr look and it was my first pathy and what do u mean when.you say people searching for.donor trucks... like it being just for parts? Here is a.thread with pics of my 89 for you...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?/topic/36023-Hello-from-Idaho

Sent from my LG-L40G using Tapatalk

Same color as my 95, except your 4door is in better condition then mine body/paint wise...yea doaner truck is your parts truck, if you have the parts of your own to get,(if part you hv is good still) then no need to get charged at pick a part, or auto parts stores. Saves time and money, AND headaches of going to pick yard and not having what you need.