broken

LOVELADY

I have a 1995 pathfinder and i was wondering if it would hurt my engine if i ran it without my egr valve. I was trying to take it off to clean it the bolt was stuck on there good from the rust and then i turned it and the whole thing broke off.

the metal pipe that runs from the exhaust to the egr valve. The part of that pipe that screws into the egr valve it was rusted to the threads it screws into and when I went to unscrew it it shaped all the threads off the egr valve

i was wondering if it would hurt my engine if i ran it without my egr valve.

You could move the vehicle, but I wouldn't drive it any distance, much less try to drive it 'normally'. Not only would it blow extremely hot exhaust gasses into the engine compartment (near items that could melt) but it would confuse the O2 sensor down stream, probably making it run rich.

It could be blocked off if there are still threads to do so, but it really sounds like it should be parked until you can source the replacement part. Junk yard parts may be rusted as well (exhaust parts often are) so if you source a new part, try this guy.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/18653-genuine-nissan-parts/

Great guy, knows his stuff and probably the best prices you can find for dealer parts. ;)

B

If you're looking for a free fix, crush the pipe closed down near the manifold, or weld it closed and rock on. Make sure to unplug the EGR solenoid though.

Running it like it is is not a good idea like B said.

Good call, this is usually the case when working on rusty/corroded components.

If you're looking for a free fix, crush the pipe closed down near the manifold, or weld it closed and rock on. Make sure to unplug the EGR solenoid though.

This will work, but you probably wouldn't pass a smog test/visual inspection that way so proceed accordingly.

B