New guy checkin' in...

Ballsie

Hi all!

So here is the short story. I had a 99.5 4x4 pathfinder for about 7 years and racked up 200k miles before giving it to my sister 3 months ago. I thought I was moving UP to an FJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser. Well, after putting 4k miles on the cruiser I realized it was not the truck for me. The Toyota is currently for sale on craigslist and I picked up a 2002 QX4 over the weekend.

I got a killer deal on the QX4 and it is MUCH nicer than the 99 XE I had before.

I just ordered new struts/shocks, slotted/crossdrilled rotors with ceramic pads, and 2" AC lift kit. Wheel spacers are next. Im guessing a 1.25" spacer will work for that 2" lift?

Anyone know of a good tire size to stuff under the 2" AC lift? Nothing crazy, just something that will require minimal trimming and look good. I will be getting an a/t tire. No mudders or anything.

The QX4 has a few small issues, but Im sure I will get them figured out in the next week or so. If anyone would like to offer up some suggestions, I would be all ears!

Issues:

1. High beams: no worky. Probably a fuse or both bulbs, but havent looked into it yet. The truck has HID's, but i think the high beams are regular bulbs. I get the high beam indicator on the dash, but they dont turn on at all.

2. Driver window: when you hit auto up, the window rolls all the way up and then instantly rolls back down 3". The manual says the windows will do that if it thinks there is something caught in the window, but there is definitely nothing in there.

3. Today I got a P1130 code and an SES light. I blew out the vacuum lines and cleaned the connector on the SCV, but still getting the code. Should I just go ahead and buy a new SCV or is there something else I can try first?

Thanks guys!!!

Welcome to NPORA Bud!

I'll try to chase a few of these down for you, but just so you know, this is more the meet and greet section so it won't get technical traffic like the Garage or R50 sections... ;)

I had a 99.5 4x4 pathfinder for about 7 years and racked up 200k miles before giving it to my sister 3 months ago.

I'm glad Sis got a great vehicle, but what made you think it was done at 200k? It just needed a freshen up... ;) (1999.0 with 175k in the stable)

Well, after putting 4k miles on the cruiser I realized it was not the truck for me. The Toyota is currently for sale on craigslist and I picked up a 2002 QX4 over the weekend.

Out of curiosity, why?

I got a killer deal on the QX4 and it is MUCH nicer than the 99 XE I had before.

Out of curiosity, why?

This, and above, are solely for edification; we like informed opinions... ;)

Anyone know of a good tire size to stuff under the 2" AC lift? Nothing crazy, just something that will require minimal trimming and look good. I will be getting an a/t tire. No mudders or anything.

You should be able to fit 31" or equivalent tires just fine, but I recommend avoiding the wheel spacers on principle. Why, looks? :scratchhead:

I think you have 16" rims so a tire size calculator will tell you, and info in the R50 section.

2. Driver window: when you hit auto up, the window rolls all the way up and then instantly rolls back down 3". The manual says the windows will do that if it thinks there is something caught in the window, but there is definitely nothing in there.

Just told a friend how to fix this a few months ago, but can't recall ATM. Something about removing the door panel, running it up and down and pressing a reset buttons to set the limits. He did it without any issue, it was simple. Go to the Garage section and download your FSM for the like year Pathfinder from the pinned thread, the 1 page directions are in it... ;)

B

Well, I've wanted an FJ80 since the early 90s, but I was just a 16 yr old kid and could never afford one. Toyota has their bulletproof reputation and I had only owned Nissans (hardbody, frontier, xterra, and the pathfinder) until then. I wanted to try something new and it just didn't work out. I LOVE that 80, in fact, I do plan on getting another one someday. It is just not practical for a DD.

I thought I would basically have the same experience with the Toyota as I did with the Nissan. For example, get in and drive the hell out of it everyday and know that I could depend on it. Unfortunately, it wasn't like that. The truck is extremely underpowered and sluggish. You can really feel that 4.5l 6cyl working its ass off to move the 4800lb truck in full time 4wd. That truck is a tank! But being a tank has its drawbacks and those drawbacks (fuel economy and power) were a real problem for me. I also had to fix a few issues with it and the parts are pretty expensive. I had more things go wrong with that truck in the 4 months I have owned it than I did with the 99 XE the whole 7 years I had it.

It really isn't fair to compare the r50 to the fj80 though. It's really apples and oranges.

My opinion is that I would rather own/drive a 97 pathfinder than a 97 land cruiser. It would definitely be harder to decide between a pathfinder and a 4runner, but I will go with the Nissan every time based on my positive experiences with all the trucks I've had.

this brings a tear to my eye!

I was brought up in the cult of VW (my old man is the original crazy german vw mechanic)

After taking him for a ride in my 13 yr old nissan and then letting him "help" me do some maintenance he told me he it rides better than my uncles brand new Ford pick up and is engineered as well as a BMW.

1 year into ownership of an R50 and I'm hooked.

• Like 1

Sorry, I re-read my post and I didn't mean to hammer you with a bunch of 'WHY's, it just worked out that way... :hide:

The truck is extremely underpowered and sluggish. You can really feel that 4.5l 6cyl working its ass off to move the 4800lb truck in full time 4wd.

I also had to fix a few issues with it and the parts are pretty expensive. I had more things go wrong with that truck in the 4 months I have owned it than I did with the 99 XE the whole 7 years I had it.

Ok, that makes perfect sense, so thank you. Hah, people complain that the Pathfinder is underpowered but I don't really agree (WD21 is more so than the R50), but I came from a Z24 D720 4x4 so it isn't hard to do better than that! The reliability/repair part is a major issue, but I wonder how much of that was passed on from the PO... :shrug:

It really isn't fair to compare the r50 to the fj80 though. It's really apples and oranges.

Agreed, they are different beasts and the basis for my questions was just an understanding, not side by side comparison.

I am still curious about the QX4/Pathfinder comparison though...

IF I do another Pathfinder build (I have a WD21 that is nearing completion with only 100k ok it, so it should last a while), it would probably be a 2003 or 2004 R50 with the VQ35 so I have the R50 build (they ride nice) with a bit more power for larger tires. The Pathfinder is hard to beat on the whole (if that is what you are looking for), especially since they are getting so cheap.

B

As far as comparing the pathfinder to the QX4, I think its obviously a nicer truck than the Pathfinder. I have got to the point where I like to have options on my cars. My 99.5 was an XE, so it had power windws/locks/mirrors and thats about it. This QX4 has heated/memory seats. Bose stereo (which doesnt sound very good) sunroof, leather, DVD player for the kids, HIDs, climate control, etc...

It all boils down to 1 question: Which do you like more; a hot pink thong or brown granny panties? they both get the job done, but I know what I prefer!

I know everyone says that there is just more stuff to break if you have more options, but I dont care. They trucks are old and its easy to find parts new and used for them.

and btw, I didnt think my 99.5 pathfinder was spent when I gave it to my sister. It was runnng fine with no issues other than the 02 sensor issue that required the extra wiring harness. I was just ready to get my land cruiser and I dont have room for 4 cars, so I had to move the pathfinder.

@bushnut: Its funny that you brought up old VWs. This is what takes up the extra space in my garage:

new_bug_1_001.jpg

Gotcha! :aok:

Our 1999.0 R50 is a loaded SE so it is right between the two with power everything, heated seats and mirrors, leather, Bose (meh, good enough), sunroof, etc.

I suggest picking up some manual hubs if the QX4 has a 4x4 shifter (not traction setting knob). They will net you 1-2 mpg on the highway, but you will loose the shift on the fly option. :shrug:

Tightie whities work fine too, it is what's under them that is matters... :lol:

Nice Bug! What year?

Funny how many old air heads there still are. I have a 1978 Cabriolet in the garage that is lowered, disk brake convert, etc but not as low as that. The 1965 Baja conver rolling chassis needs to go and my neighbor has a Fastback in his driveway and a Bug in the garage as well. :aok:

B

. It would definitely be harder to decide between a pathfinder and a 4runner

no, it wouldn't :lol: (unless it was a factory solid axle 1st gen... SFA and removable top? that could get a 4runner back in my driveway... withOUT the 3.0)

Sweet Bug as well man, I love old VWs but aint fortunate enough to own one... yet

The QX4 has the selector switch for the 4x4. Will manual hubs not do me any good with that? Ive never had a truck that didnt have a shifter for the transfer case. Makes me wonder if Im REALLY in 4wd.

The bug is a 64.

Edited by Ballsie

selector switch knob and manual hubs aren't that compatible. there is a thread on it here somewhere.

as far as old Vdubs go I'd give my left nut for a Karman Gia, or a Type 3. as far as new ones go I'd take a Amarok thank you.

As far as levers on the floor for 4x4, my neighbour has a chev truck where the lever only actuates an electric switch. he only found out when it stopped working and the mechanic only replaced a wire.

as far as old Vdubs go I'd give my left nut for a Karman Gia, or a Type 3.

Like I said, there is one in my neighbor's driveway. Should I ask him how much? ;)

The QX4 has the selector switch for the 4x4. Will manual hubs not do me any good with that? Ive never had a truck that didnt have a shifter for the transfer case. Makes me wonder if Im REALLY in 4wd.

The bug is a 64.

As the nut said, no, from what I understand the manual hubs are not a good idea. It is something about the front differrential not being lubricated when the hubs are unlocked and you are in traction or AWD mode or whatever. I think it is ok if you only use 2wd and 4wd and manualls lock in every time, but I'd have to read it again. I don't own one with the selector knob... :shrug:

B

You should be able to fit 31" or equivalent tires just fine, but I recommend avoiding the wheel spacers on principle. Why, looks?

I read that I will have to get aftermarket wheels or wheels spacers if I plan on the 2" lift. Is that not true? I definitely dont want spacers, but Id rather use spacers than buy aftermarket wheels. The truck currently has the stock 17" 3 spoke QX4 wheels.

I honestly don't know the configuration of the stock 17" 3 spoke wheels but it sounds as though someone tried and they have too much backspacing (don't stick out far enough)? Did they say where/what/when there was interference and/or rubbing?

I put some BFG AT 31" tires (aftermarket rims) on our stock R50 with 175k miles and a saggy suspension and it only barely rubbed while turning in reverse. I posted the difference in backspacing, so if we found that and you measured yours, you would have some quantitative data to determine from.

Here is the visual difference, but I believe the rims are slightly wider as well.

110-Copy-Copy_zpsd1fa6062.jpg

103-Copy-Copy_zpsf863f7c3.jpg

B