have idea want to know if anybody's done it before

thorpe991

i was thinking of pulling one of the spare tire racks of a 1995 pathfinder from my local jy and mounting it on my r50 would this work?

i plan on taking my spare off from underneath and running a dual outlet muffler and i cant use the stock anyways as its like 29" or 28" tire and im running 31s

im thinking ill have to pull the lock mechanism that holds the tire rack to the hatch and mount that and then find someplace to mount the plate.

the only problem i think im going to run into is how rounded the rear edge of the r50s are compared to the squarness of the 1995 model

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/32444-stock-spare-tire-carrier-mod/

i found this wile i was looking at pics of the rack and i like how he moved it up farther and to the right i would want to do the same thing and then put my plate on the rack next to the tire

if anyone has done it a link to the page would be nice as i have no idea what to search for to find this

No, it won't fit. I have one from a WD21 sitting in my garage right now if anyone wants it. The hinges are totally different & all the latches, etc, too. I was lucky & mine originally had a swing out but a previous owner had switched it for the underneath carrier. I still had the bolts & all the catches, etc, that fit on the body, so all I needed was the carrier itself. If yours didn't originally come with a swing out your rear panel probably isn't strong enough to support a carrier, the panel was reinforced on the ones with the carrier. If yours didn't originally come with a carrier, you're better off fabing a custom bumper with a carrier attachment. I believe there's a few places you can buy one all ready to fit, Tactical Armor Group is one place. If yours did originally have a carrier, hit the wrecking yards for an early R50, it's surprising how many had swing outs. A member from up north found one in a wrecking yard, bought it & shipped it to me for less the $150 I think.

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving...

Has anyone tried to mount a wd swing away onto the bumper of an r50 somehow. I'd love to use a swing away and just found one from a 95 for $25 on my local C-list. I know I can't mount it to the sheet metal but figured some crafty member may have used the wd style on a newer model somehow...long shot but fingers are crossed ...

The work involved to make a bumper style mount setup would start with making a bumper stout enough to hold a carrier, I'd personally probably keep hunting for one from a r50 to begin with, one of those ones that mounts in a receiver hitch, or a built (or build yourself) bumper with one integrated. I'm all for doing stuff on the cheap(being in cheap) but sometimes a project can surpass the price of taking an easy way out (purchasing done)!

• Like 1