threaded holes on cross member

stabworthy

With recently being “laid off”, I have had time to lay under my truck to escape the Texas heat and daydream of ways mess up the garage. Today I was semi-mocking up a underneath rock slider thingy after last time out, a rouge rock played see-saw down there. rude awaking , chucked my t-case,and drive-shaft bells , Dented my last cross-member , muffler and fuel tank “guard”. While down there,I saw these four small holes >>>IMAG0086_BURST002_zps60082572.jpg

IMAG0086_BURST002_zps60082572.jpg

not the big "Lightening" holes, the small ones toward the t case. it is the member the t-bars are and they are tapped with one of those square “nuts” welded in the cavity, looking oe. What is it for ???

{ side question, why nissan like lightening holes??????}

Edited by stabworthy

Because these things are heavy for their size.

I have no idea what they are for, perhaps a factory skid plate that was never introduced (here anyway). They don't look tapped...

B

B nailed it. Probably the possible mounting of a plate, Why not use them? Why not cut a crossmember or gusset? depending on its structural need it can be bored to "lighten" or in some instances actually improves its performance, on "Ye Olde Pigs" every ounce helps!

so a skid plate that never made it into the world. i wonder where the other end would be attached? hoping in the front on protect everything in a rock's reach, like the oil sump :togo: . it looks like i going finish what Nissan started. has anyone use this point to build their undercarriage protecttion? pic?

Yea, the visors on my hats ain't strait enough to buy those :lol: I had a pair of "real" nuts hangin. From mine for a while as a joke (I think B saved the pic actually and know I have it somewhere).