Clutch. . . weirdness

linewar

The clutch in this thing has always been pretty stiff, like doing a one-leg leg press. However, lately I've noticed that in the mornings it's. . . softer. I haven't changed my habits, and it still shifts fine, but it feels less springy, and as though I don't have to push it as far to engage it. No real problems, just weirdness because when I drive it at lunchtime and later in the day, it takes as much pressure as usual.

To my knowledge, it is the original clutch and throwout, so it's 17 years old with 145,000 miles on it. I've had other vehicles where when the clutch was going out, it started having trouble moving gears and also the engagement point started seeming more random. I haven't had a clutch feel like this one, where it gets "soft."

I agree with both above.

Clutch cylinder related issue. It may be the master or slave going out or time for new fluid. Make sure it it filled up properly as well. If it is old.low fluid it is expanding when it gets warm from use and thus back to working 'as it was before'

Sometimes when I have the truck in gear, then put the clutch in and put it in neutral then let the clutch out, it makes a sound as I'm letting it out in neutral. Sort of a soft "bang" sound. It doesn't grab or anything, just sounds like something is hitting something under the truck.

FWIW, I've never dropped a trans and changed a clutch, but I have bled the slave, did it about 3 or 4 months ago.

Ya i have 189k miles on mine as far as i know its the original clutch lets just say its seen better days lol. the throw out bearing has been shot since i bought the thing. Guess its about time to break down and drop the trans. fun filled and action packed times r coming soon looks like..