YD25DDTI swap?

So last night I had a dream and my 87 pathy had a diesel in it lol, so today I was playing on the net and found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-NAVARA-FRONTIER-D22-2-5L-TURBO-DIESEL-ENGINE-AWD-TRANS-JDM-YD25-YD25DDTI-/281166567643?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4176d558db&vxp=mtr

and wondered, how hard could it be to swap into mine? I tried looking up if anyone has ever put one in a older pathy cause i know it came stock in euro pathfinders. but has anyone ever heard of swaps with this? maybe you could just throw a frontier or xterra trans and xfer case behind it and make it work? whats everyones thoughts?

IMO I don't see much reason to go for that plant. The transaxle looks like it'd be a pain to set up. You'd have to get the front axles to work with the Pathfinder CVs, and figure out what the front diff ratio is to match it to the rear end (if matching gears are available). It's AWD (so not much use unless it's got a center locker), and with the way the trans is built onto the motor there's no way it would take a conventional trans setup. Also, there's no warranty from that seller on diesels.

Anyway, the engine's smaller than standard equipment for the diesel Pathfinders (the TD27, of which I see a few on Fleabay). A TD w/trans would be as close to bolt-on as it gets.

One guy swapped his TD27 for a bigger diesel, but I can't remember what it was called. I think it was a 3.2L? Another guy was talking about putting a Cummins 4BT in a Pathy but I don't think the thread went anywhere.

Well i wasnt thinking of using that trans, I know this engine came stock in certain euro pathfinders/frontiers so i thought maybe use a trans from a frontier or something with a xfer case. and a light intercooled diesel with 170hp and 300ftlbs sounds like it would be sweet in a 2 door pathy. esp since the intercooler on it is top mount, should fit good, maybe put some vent holes in the hood for it. or since subie sti's come with a similar set up, use a subie hood scoop and be set. I mean, im not saying im going to run out and get one now lol, but down the road a little, this could be a option.

One guy swapped his TD27 for a bigger diesel, but I can't remember what it was called. I think it was a 3.2L? Another guy was talking about putting a Cummins 4BT in a Pathy but I don't think the thread went anywhere.

:) that was me... Then my pathy got wreaked :( but still planning the swap for my hardbody 87 just finishing my apprenticeship is priority right now (same year as your pathy just z24 d21) anywho this is what inspired me...

Link won't load... Frustrated....

YouTube nissan hardbody 4bt swap their is a couple short videos

Ended up joining a forum 4btswaps and started talking to the owner of that 87 pickup, he has a complete build thread that I have read over a couple times, covers a lot of issues, but that is for the 4bt engine, unsure about the nissan diesel, never done any research

I am all for Diesel engines, especially the old ones that you can run off of McDonald's French fry oil :lol: another thing to think about, a 2 door diesel pathy that smells like French fries hahah

Edited by cvdloc

Yea, a 4bt would be amazing!!! But, they are also about as heavy as a BBC i believe. 700lbs. One of the reasons I thought that engine would be cool was not only is it a small light weight diesel, but also that thing revs to 5k!! can you imagine how sweet that would be?? Now I will say, finding parts would be a B!&^@ here in the US, you wold have to order parts from South America, Australia, and Europe, but one of these days when I get to start this new job, i might just try to do this swap lol. Dare to be different lol. If not, i might just fold and do a different swap and just keep it gas, ive thought bout a VG30DE too, I think those are 230-240hp and 200ft lbs and bolt to the trans, and i think maybe even the motor mounts, so we will just see what the next few months brings

Damn, I love these cut aways, so beautiful.. Yeah the unfortunate thing about the 4bt is weight, 750lbs just the block, I'm debating between leafs in the front for an sas, which will help support the weight more but, I want to build a rock crawler, and if I go that way, i would 3 link the front and rear... That motor might be improbable (4bt) but how awesome would it be to throw a cummins logo on your nissan :lol:

That's quite a bit of power for that motor, would be more practical for a rock crawler.. Hmm you got me thinking now, but as you said, parts would be a pain, even if you build it up, and something goes, your trucks down for a long time waiting on parts to be shipped, plus who would work on them? A shop might not be interested cause its foreign... Too much to consider lol

I have always thought (since I have a couple friends that are heavy into drag racing) build up a chevy small block sc or turbo with an auto tranny with dual tcase or crawl box and throw that in :lol: hahah oh how fun would that be

Edited by cvdloc

Yea, i used to have a 24v cummins and that was the best truck ive ever owned. and i think a 4bt could be sweet but yea, thats so much weight and would throw your weight balance off. i mean, ive rebuilt a C7 before and do all my own work on my vehicles, so i know i could work on that diesel. Now a chevy v8 would be bad ass and ive seen people do it before, but i kind of want to stick to nissan. so ive seen those nissan v8s out of the q45s go pretty cheap, so one of those would be pretty bad ass. and i think if you get the right one, they are 6 bolt mains so they would hold good power. But a little turbo diesel would be cooler i think lol. esp if you had a doubler. Ive been watching lots of videos on youtube of the YD25 and it keeps making me want one more ha ha. you just have to look under terrano or navara and they will start popping up.

Yeah I understand, I'm a nissan guy first then cummins power.. Unfortunately haven't had the pleasure to own a dodge truck yet but in the future will be looking for an old 12 valve <3

Hahah anywho nissan motors are build well, that vg30 in a typical pathy, are bullet proof (personal opinion) take care of it it will take care of you. Curious on the transmission fit, what would be an easy fit transmission, what would you use?

And I agree, turbo diesel defiantly cooler

Edited by cvdloc

lol well "if" i ended up trying to do a swap like this, id prob see if i could use a newer pathy or frontier trans since they came in those vehicles. But in the end, i think it would be easiest to just call up advanced adapters and see if they could make me something to use my pathys trans i have now, the 5 speed. they say they can make just about anything work together, so if i went that route, i might just have to challenge them ha ha.

and if (when lol) you get a cummins, you wont regret it. mine had a programmer/intake/exhaust and whew, loved that torque. esp on the freeway. you would be cruising, someone gets in front of you all slow, and you just lean into the throttle some, no down shift or anything and next thing you know, you went from 60-90 pretty quick. Im just sad i dont have mine anymore. think bout it every day.

Yeah that manual trans in pathfinders are a beefy transmission same with the tcase so it should easily handle the torque if you go that route.. You defiantly got me thinking tho, I'm curious how the td27 would be to get in North America (perferably Canada) would be a sizeable turbo diesel esspecially for my 87 hardbody, that might be a safe route, I can use the h233b from my parts 95 pathy and steal my friends parts grand waggy and take the front Dana 44, would be a lot cheaper then the 4bt and lighter, I don't have to worry about snappy or twisting axles with the higher torque.... Hmmm

Ha ha yes think away! I mean, yea this could all be in vain but at the same time, could be such a sweet rig. my pathy is prob just going to stay how it is now, since i started this thread, some things have changed and im going to be putting my money elsewhere for awhile, but one day, i think think this would be bad ass! plus my pathy is running and driving great now so i think ill just enjoy it for awhile till something breaks lol

Haha yeah like we have all been told don't fix it if it ain't broken!! It is kind of nice talking to someone about turbo diesel swaps most of my friends are telling me to give up and buy a yota... I just tell them I'd rather fix my nissan then drive a toy (ford and heep can be added too) ;):lol: anyways hopefully one day we can both fill our turbo diesel needs :)

If you're a Nissan guy first and want to get a v8 get a 5.6 from a titan or armada. 305 hp plus you could have something completely different . If I had the time and $$$ I would be really looking into project. And stay true to the brand...gotta admit it would be really cool..

• 2 weeks later...

yea, cause ive talked about wanting more power and my buddies are like, throw a chevy 5.3 in it, now i know its a awesome engine and i want to build one up one day but NOT for my nissan. I want to build this thing all nissan so that way when its done and i got wheeling and show up the other guys, i wont hear any of that excuse BS like "oh that thing isnt really even a nissan anymore" so if/when i do a engine swap, it will be a nissan engine lol. and yes, i actually was looking into a titan engine the other day too. cause ive seen a few lately that were pretty cheap. cheap enough to grab my attention ha ha. also ive seen some of the v8s out of the older infinities that didnt look bad either. those would be sweet too. but damn, the thought of a turbo diesel in my pathy just touches me in all the right places ha ha

:lol: it's touches me too. I have completely gone away from doing a cummins swap to my d21 and now I have been keeping an eye on Craigslist, checking weekly for any nissan terrano or patrols up for grabs in BC not getting my hopes up yet since I'm not planning the swap for some time but when something does come up I can jump on it. If I can find a patrol I'm pretty sure they come with a td42 and a front h233b which I could use for my sas. That would be ideal situation but chances are that won't happen lol I just been doing a lot of thought between a td27 and a td42. I want power and I know I can build up a td27 to give my 200hp+ 300ft/p+ but I feel that's asking for trouble with a little motor like that, and do I want to spend that on upgrades when a td42 would have the power and torque I'm looking for with minimal upgrades. I joined a patrol forum a while back before I found out about npora, might pick their brains ask them some questions about the motors to give me more information (ill be sure to post them on here) lol their is so many options but which one is ideal? I think by the end of this project ill be on the verge of insanity :lol:

lol there is such thing as a end to a project?!?!? yea you should pick thier brains and see, who knows...........maybe one of them will have a hook up on some drivetrain parts for your project. and yea, im going to do my sas first then engine swap, but sas is going to take awhile since i want to do it right from the beginning. the other day i was hangin out at this mechanics shop my buddy works at (they let me use the lifts too :D ) and they were working on one of the dodge sprinter vans that had the small inline 6 diesel in them, i stared at it for a bit thinkin that its small enough it might work lol. but im not sure what prices you could find one for. wouldnt really work for a "all nissan" build either but it would be sweet too lol. and parts would be more readily available than any nissan diesel you could find over here. thats another idea i ponder about in my spare time ha ha