Brake lines

adamzan

I'm doing some front end repairs/mods to the truck (new UCA's, cvs and ball joints [for who's curious]), and we broke the front drivers hardline. Now I noticed that the brake lines are coiled, what purpose does this serve? I'm sure it is there for a reason, otherwise I would just replace the whole section of line from the master to the flex hose with some universal brake line.

So far I think my options are:

1. Buy a new line from Nissan - probably most expensive and I'd have to wait a few days.

2. Replace with line from the parts store - will eliminate the coiled part of the line, which is obviously there for a reason.

3. Splice in a piece of line with a union below the coils and run it to the flex hose - I think this would be the easiest way, not sure if it is the "right" way though.

Would love to hear your input on this.

Edited by adamzan

From what I just read online, the coils are there to give the line flexibility, if the line was short and straight ithe motion between the frame and body would eventually cause the line to crack.

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yea I have seen everything from steel braided line to stainless steel which never rust's but whose got that kind of money I sure dont .Flex hose sounds best I had to replace my fords a few years back. :my2cents:

you could also buy a straight line with flared ends, a tubing bender and duplicate the stock line, but buying the stock part would probably end up being cheaper.

part number 4624241G01 - $10.61 online Nissan dealer

or another option get one from junkyard pathfinder

From what I just read online, the coils are there to give the line flexibility, if the line was short and straight ithe motion between the frame and body would eventually cause the line to crack.

Well that makes a lot of sense, why didn't I think of that lol.

you could also buy a straight line with flared ends, a tubing bender and duplicate the stock line, but buying the stock part would probably end up being cheaper.

part number 4624241G01 - $10.61 online Nissan dealer

or another option get one from junkyard pathfinder

Now IMO buying a new stock part is the absolute right way to do this. I can't really wait the week it will take to get from the online dealer, or the 4 days my local dealer seems to take to get parts. JY might be an option if not rusted too much (doubtful up here).

If you have a flare tool just put a coupler in it, it will be fine. You can probably borrow one from the parts store.

I had a gift card to a local store so today I went out and bought a flaring tool. Yay new tools! Also picked up some unions, flare nuts, and lines.

just DON'T USE COMPRESSION FITTINGS!

NEVER!

Yea I have seen everything from steel braided line to stainless steel which never rust's but whose got that kind of money I sure dont .Flex hose sounds best I had to replace my fords a few years back. :my2cents:

Yea stainless is out of my price range lol. I ended up getting the kind with some green corrosion proof coating on them. They look like stock lines.

I bought lots of line I'm going to practice flaring (its a PITA but I've got a few nice ones). I think I'm going to try flaring the stock line and using a union to join the two, and if I can't get a good flare on the existing line I'll do what ahardbody suggested and use my tube bender to recreate the stock line with the coils.

Good thing I already had the bender.

Ok here is what I ended up with

After practicing with the flare tool:

1000351_10151866262024233_1568814242_n.j

The repair:

1005506_10151866285409233_741650016_n.jp

Just waiting on a new flex hose and I'll tighten everything and bleed the brakes.

Sorry for the fuzzy pictures but I'm not bringing my good camera into the garage to get greasy.

Edited by adamzan