New to building a 95 pathy and new member here

Nissanland

Update.. Back half done. Wow did it gain clearance. I gained apx 41/2 inches with the Goodyear duratrac's (265/75r16) 32's and springs. And new shocks. Found out the brakes were toast along with the heat shield above the muffler, it was just laying on top of the muffler, which is in good shape surprisingly. It's quite quieter than I thought it would be. Missing both axle bump stops. I found one sitting inside the frame..LOL. Hopefully I will get the front lift done next time I get home. Mite be after Christmas though, Christmas freight is on the uptick already, we're taking our 2nd Amazon load since yesterday, and when we get to Reno we're off to Georgia for Friday morning drop. But that's fine, miles equal $$$$ and that means more parts and accessories to get the upgrades with. But I am having a great time building a great trail rig. I will figure out how one-day to get pictures up have a bunch, just hard with a note 2 cell phone. God bless all.....GO Seahawks!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Update, well sorta. I was in working the front lift and hit, well came upon some bad snag phoo's. I had all but one upper control arm to upper ball joints bolts break off. To much rust, went AND got new ub joints and can't get the nut to back out without removing the cv shaft, the other problem is getting the spindle pin out of the stock uca. So guess I will need some more tools. Time for harbor freight, but hey at least the Seahawks beat the saints...

Well we will see what happens now, I finally got a press and few other tools from harbor freight. I pu a 20 ton press for a mere $100 down from $399 if that don't help I don't know what I'll do....wish me luck LOL. Besides it's cold outside in the garage temperature says 25'deg. Guess I should get the big shop heater out for couple hrs first.

For those that know my job, being a trucker,I'm rarely able to get time for garage work. However, I'm home do to an illness in the family. My wife's mom has come down with a bone cancer and so I have been supporting them in this hard time. I ask for all your prayers for a healing and recovery. Thanks and God bless.

I'm sorry to hear that. My best wishes are with you.

Update, well sorta. I was in working the front lift and hit, well came upon some bad snag phoo's. I had all but one upper control arm to upper ball joints bolts break off. To much rust, went AND got new ub joints and can't get the nut to back out without removing the cv shaft, the other problem is getting the spindle pin out of the stock uca. So guess I will need some more tools. Time for harbor freight, but hey at least the Seahawks beat the saints...

Geez, why so much rust in Warshington?

Left hand drills and easy outs (square kind) for the broken bolts, soak the spindle pin with penetrant, and simply burn the stock UCAs out.

Well we will see what happens now, I finally got a press and few other tools from harbor freight. I pu a 20 ton press for a mere $100 down from $399 if that don't help I don't know what I'll do....wish me luck LOL. Besides it's cold outside in the garage temperature says 25'deg. Guess I should get the big shop heater out for couple hrs first.

That is a real problem... I hate wrenching in the cold (did it for too many years) but that is freezing!

I have a few heaters for the same reason. Fire it up and at least make yourself more comfortable, it'll pay off in the long run. ;)

B

WaRshington? Yeah I caught that.

Why do you have so much rust?

Were you continuously pulling on the bolt? That builds pressure and heat which leads to shearing. Try short high pressure hits, with a low impact hammer or a impact wrench to get old bolts out.

They were the four small bolts on the top of ubj, they snapped almost as soon as I started to turn them, they were soaked with PB but still snapped. I believe that the whole front-end is still STOCK from the condition of bolts and bushings. At least the cv all have new boots and the don't need replacement. I don't think the PO to my daughter took good care Of the pathy and thus rust from the lacking attention that good care/cleaning can prevent. But hey when I get it done it should last longer than ever. Everything will be replaced new or repaired properly. I'm sorry I haven't yet figure out how to get pictures up. I got the photo bucket set up. But I guess I'm just to stupid and need an 8yr old to show me. Wish we could just cut and paste. Thanks B for your thoughts/prayers. And btw I took a torch to the bushings and all it did was smoke, I spent darn near an hour and it barely moved. So hopefully the press is nicer to me. LOL

20131202_180701_zps33f9b9ea.jpg20131202_180713_zpsb52b0c0c.jpg

20131202_180650_zpse7afae21.jpg

Well as you can see a bit of the headache I ran into. The press worked great. Now it's a matter of getting the nut off the ubj and replacing ubj,mount uca, steering stabilizer,and manual hubs.

Edited by Nissanland

Well I gave up. I pushed so hard with a wrench THAT I turned a wrench into the letter 'C' I was using as an extension bar for extra torque so I Just drilled out the broken bolts and GOT the darn thing back together, so now tomorrow it's the driver side, and replace the torsion bars.

Since I have the new upper ball joints and all, I will just have the alignment shop remove/replace as needed. Only going to crank up enough to clear the new tires. Still have the mile marker hubs, and the steering stabilizer to install before I take it to get aligned. It did amaze me how good the ubj was when I added grease, the boot was tight and no leaks/or not torn.

Edited by Nissanland

You are definately going to want to upgrade that centerlink before you go on any trails. It is a weak point in the Nissan IFS and won't last long if you plan on anything more than dirt roads. The design twists under load and will quickly egg out the idler arm and tie rod mounting holes creating lotsa slop in the steering. My last stock one lasted about 100 yards.

I now have a modified centerlink from a company that no longer exists, but i believe you can get one from a guy known as "Hooha" or from Calmini or 4x4parts.com.

I have it on future list. I'm not that hard of a driver and don't take on to many risks. That said, I will not be trail riding either until I know it's safe on all fronts. Thx for information.

any advice on replacing the lower bump stop that mounts to lower control arm, I found mine loose and the other one missing. replaced the upper with ultra low bump stop. thx :blah:

The lower the profile, the greater the articulation range and depending on how high the front end is raised, the more load there is on the CVs due to angle. Are you asking how to replace it or what to replace it with?

B

The upper control arms came out fine, it was the upper ball joint that gave me problem. This truck hasn't had much changed since 95. I even found a sticker from the factory still on the driver's side shock, said manufacturing date of 07/12/94 made in Japan on it. So everything is very set, and very tough to remove. Just makes it that much more satisfying to get repaired.