Interchangable Parts

sam1994path

I bought my son a 1994 Pathfinder for Christmas, 16 years old. It seemed to be in very good mechanical condition although I knew I would have to replace the clutch at some point. Well it started running rough and I replaced the fuel injetcors because that was the code I was getting on the computer. After I did that a few weeks later it threw a rod and now it's not running. I didn't anticapate this and I wish I had done some more research on this old timer. I never thought it was going to be this difficult and costly to repair. I really love this beast and I want to fix it up, my son has lost interest though. He can't drive to school. I need know what engines and/or parts are interchangable between years etc. Please help with advice at this point. Should I put a used engine in it? Will a 1993-1995 engine work? I just need a little advice from someone who knows these vehicles.

Thanks for the help!

The vg30e engines are all interchangeable. Pretty sure its 90-95 as they have exactly the same design besides the interior of the vehicle. The stock engines are very well made and should last a long time.

One thing that I know is "different" engine wise is mid 93 they changed from square to round tooth timing belts/timing gears. A round toother has a longer timing belt maintnance interval (105k miles compared to a square tooth 60k miles). Since you have a round tooth one already if you get a square tooth motor you could change over the belt related gears over and still have the "up to date" stuff, or take em off if you get a later engine that already has the round teeth and send me the round tooth gears from your scrap one :shiftyeyes:

^Bingo!

If you want to change things up though, you can get a VG33e (out of a Frontier, R50 or X-terra) to put in it. Change out the cams with the VG30 and you'll have 20+ HP over a stock pathy, more than a 10% gain...

I'll move this to the Garage section.

B

• 2 weeks later...

adding to the above...

You want to look for a V6 engine out of a Pathfinder or Hardbody with a production date after 06/93. Ideally you would want an engine from a hardbody truck made after 01/95. There are many used ones around here in DFW you can pick one up for $400-$500 used,

There are also companies that remanufacture them and will offer warranties on the rebuilt engine. Either way if you replace the motor make sure it comes with the engine ECU to minimize any compatability issues.