R50 6" SFD

Abbypathy

Wondering if anyone else besides me has done a 6" SFD on the 97 Pathfinder. If so have you had problems with cracks in the frame where the rear bolts for sub frame bolt into the frame. I suspect the problem is putting in a 6" spacer between the frame and sub frame is to unstable. I am adding a lateral cross member that will join the spacers as one. Thus the spacers will not be able to twist in a lateral motion.

I would think a 4" SFD is the max. you would want without adding a lateral cross member.

Keep in mind on my pathfinder this created an extremely dangerous condition in which I figure within a short period of time I would have lost control completely while driving. In fact for the longest time I thought the bearing was loose on the passenger side front tire. I was getting a vibration at highway speed just like if you had a tire out of balance. Upon further inspection I found some serious cracks in both the sub frame and frame.

So really want to warn you all of this issue.

At anything over 4" I think your money would be better invested in a waggy d44 sas instead, more capable and a whole lot safer than an sfd if it's done right.

• 4 weeks later...

How are the CVs holding up? I would imagine you have quite the angle on your front axles.

The CV angle shouldn't be that much different with a 6" SFD than with a 4" SFD, provided that the strut tower extensions are also 6"...

I have manual lockers for the axle. And its strictly used on weekends and off road. Maybe 5,000 kms a year. No sign of wear yet. The angle isn't excessive, how ever more wear and tear will result. Guarantee that

My sub frame spacers are 4 1/2" and strut spacers are 6". I wanted max possible clearance in the center of the axle. That's why the configuration is such. So CV angle is greater than normal. However got a nice clearance in the center and with the manual hubs and low mileage excessive CV Joint wear is manageable.

Edited by Abbypathy

I don't think the strut tower extensions can go 6", can they? 4" was a bit tough getting in there. Figure with 6", it's gonna be under the fender...

Pics? :)

I found 6" for strut to be max'd out. Its was a bit of wiggling to put it back together

Edited by Abbypathy

I would suggest carrying a couple spares and the tools needed to swap 'em on your next offroad adventure. B)

I think XPLORx4 is right. In reality it isn't any different than doing a 2" lift using something like stiffer springs on the strut or 2" spacers.

Not a bad idea to bring extra axles though. My pathy is fully loaded with tools, parts, shelter, food and anything else I can think of just in case.

Edited by Abbypathy

Wondering if anyone else besides me has done a 6" SFD on the 97 Pathfinder. If so have you had problems with cracks in the frame where the rear bolts for sub frame bolt into the frame. I suspect the problem is putting in a 6" spacer between the frame and sub frame is to unstable. I am adding a lateral cross member that will join the spacers as one. Thus the spacers will not be able to twist in a lateral motion.

I would think a 4" SFD is the max. you would want without adding a lateral cross member.

Keep in mind on my pathfinder this created an extremely dangerous condition in which I figure within a short period of time I would have lost control completely while driving. In fact for the longest time I thought the bearing was loose on the passenger side front tire. I was getting a vibration at highway speed just like if you had a tire out of balance. Upon further inspection I found some serious cracks in both the sub frame and frame.

So really want to warn you all of this issue.

I read around here where another fella did a fairly large SFD and it was unstable. His solution, WELD that bad boy. Haven't visited the post in a while, heck i probably cant even find it, but i know his pathy was white and he wasn't state side. Beautiful country where he was though.

Braces! ya sounds good to me. may even stiffen her up a bit in turns.