will not start/confused

birdman

Hey guys, my '96 pathfinder will not start. It happended a couple of times before after driving on the highway for 70kms. I let it sit for 15 mins to cool off and it started right up. It has been starting fine ever since until today. battery is fine as everything works. My alarm system has been acting up so maybe it's related. Keyless remote broke and when I unlock the driverside door the alarm goes off but stops when I unlock the rear glass/door or passenger door. I tried a search but got even more confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know that much about the Pathys yet, but I am learning. The symptoms you describe sounds a lot like a failing coil, heck to troubleshoot an intermittent problem. The fact that you have other electrical issues also makes me think of a faulty ignition switch. Without knowing more about these particular rigs I could just be grasping at straws.....

Oh man my wife and just went through this with our 2001 Altima. It's your N.A.T.S. antenna ring is no longer communicating with the vehicle immobilizer. If you can get it to a service bay where they can pull a code check on it, you're looking for codes 1610 and 1612 or something like that.

We had to have our Altima towed to the dealership, after first having it towed to a neighborhood service station, they couldn't work on it. It's that damn Vehicle Immobilizer system. It will no longer recognize the magnetic transponder in your key and so it thinks your trying to steal the car and therefor cuts the ignition.

That thing parts and labor, and diagnostic cost us a total of roughly $610. Good luck. If you've got full coverage ins on your vehicle, check with them, they may reimburse your towing charges. I'm with State Farm and they sent us a check for both tows.

Edited by gv280z

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. just went after work to try again and no luck with the engine cold. It does not crank at all. The red LED was blinking but I think it always has. I'll go back again tomorrow and check the fuses. I would like to remove the alarm altogether, nothing but trouble.

You may have a starter kill issue going on here with the unlocking of the door you mention without the remote, however the engine shuting off when it is at operating temperature leads me to think you have something else going on that is temperature related.

I think you have a bad crank or camshaft sensor. They will cause the vehicle to die and when failing often will start sending intermittant signals when they get hot. They will also cause a vehicle shutdown. Other symptoms include random engine shut off and then it will start just fine again sometimes and other times not.

I would look at a bad O2 sensor and Engine Temperature Sensor. On both of these sensors when the vehicle reaches operating temperature (after about 5-10 mins) the ECU will start reading signals from these sensors. If the ECU doesnt get signals within expected perameters it can cause the vehicle to die.

Check the ECU for stored codes.