smart TV

Bruce

Hi All,

I've worked in this industry for more than 2 years. Lots people told me smart tv is popular in USA and Europe where the native language is English. However the business is terrible since beginning. When I talk to potential customers or people on street, everyone needs TV but internet is never necessary.

Here are some data for 2012 TV market.

Total sold unit over 240 millions

Samsung + LG + Sony = over 40% market share

TV with internet function = 20% around

6% Samsung users had ever turn on the internet function, no matter what you did even just turn on and go back to normal TV.

10% Sony users had turned on internet

All these numbers seem that internet TV isn't hot in the world, or the fact is people in English raise the average, who like me in Asia lower the ratio. I'm confused. May I know your thoughts please?

Thank you very much.

Bruce

I have had a computer tied to my TV (60" plasma) for 8 years and a couple of years before that on an old CRT. The computer is my surround sound, my DVD player, and video entertainment. I believe it has not taken off because most people don't understand the benefits and capabilities. I am in the broadband entertainment industry and have introduced many to the multimedia function of their TVs and also showed others how to incorporate their computer into their system, using their TV as a monitor. The majority of these were very pleased with the result.

Edited by SkiBumBrian
  • Like 1

built into the TV Not necessary. They generally limit you to what the manufacturer thinks you want.

I would go with a WDTV or some other external Smart Tv component Like google TV.

BTW I have been off cable tv or satellite for over 2 years and have saved thousands of $$.

Google sickbeard, sabnzb and you will see what I mean.

I leave my computer on all the time and it fetches my tv shows from the internet in HD, it automatically downloads, extracts and sorts my tv shows in designated directories on my pc. My wdtv is hooked up to my home network and when i want to watch tv i just browse to my tv sharded folder and pick the folder that contains the show i want to watch.

Sickbeard runs like a website and is accessible from any tablet,phone or laptop on my network for adding and administering the shows i want. All the programs to do this are freeware. you just need internet and a $12 /month subscription to usenet.

• Like 1

Same same. I no longer pay for cable or any other programming provider, Hulu and FTP sites give me all I need along with a digital antenna for locals. Most don't understand that most networks give you access to most of their programming free on their websites.

• Like 1

incorporate their computer into their system, using their TV as a monitor.

Bingo. No cable in out house, just a land line and ISP. It is all piped through a computer/stereo for internet content/music/etc and our 42" Philips LCD is essentially simply used as a monitor. We don't really watch TV and NetFlicks probably provides 80% of our entertainment.

B

As a long time cable user, we just finally dumped it all. Kept the Internet and watch most tv over the air(hd) or stream Hulu, Netflix, crackle, or even the major networks have the latest shows available on their websites. Nice thing about the steaming sites is that I also have it on my iPad and cell phone. I have a PS3 that I use as I got a tv with out Internet ability. All in one simple package. Only thing I miss is being able to watch baseball, bu then ain, our team sucks.

I have done the streaming thing, I am not fond of it. The quality is not 100% all the time, it glitches a lot.

I am not streaming. I am downloading the content in MKV format on my Pc and playing it through my local network on my WDTV. Once the content is downloaded I do not need an internet connection to watch it.

Whenever i have streamed something in the past either from netflix/ hulu/ amazon I am always disapointed in the streaming quality, I guess I am spoiled. And HULU plus. you pay for a subscription and you still have to watch commercials. No thanks.

I am pretty sure it is the content provider, as I have comcast ISP. 34.77Mbps down and 11.24Mbps up

I am also wired all the way to the playback device. I am really picky about quality I stopped watching dvd Because it is too low quality for me. (especially when you are displaying on a 10 foot diagonal projection screen.)

That is why I prefer the download vs streaming.

Edited by msavides