Anyone replaced upper control arm bushings ?

JackStraw1

Doing shocks and noticed that my UCA bushings appear worn. Took off the UCA and it looks like the bushings press out or screw out maybe ?

The rod that passes through the UCA that then bolts the UCA to the truck does not spin freely (which I'm guessing it's supposed to)

Appreciate any advice and/or pics.

Thanks

Actually from what I've read you can drill them out and then grease and press them in.Rubber bushings are longer lasting then the poly one's which everyone says are to stiff.I myself need to replace upper and lower bushings but they can be a little pricey $$$$.

I agree, if properly lubricated poly lasts a long long time and maintains its hardness as well.

I have used poly in every bushing that isn't replaced with heim joints on my 240sx for years with no issues and it sees a lot of daily driving and hard spirited driving. Still have yet to hear a squeak even, although I did use a lot of factory five lube on assembly. I swear by poly. I have my tension rods and sway bar done in poly on my pathy and the ucas and lcas are next. Have em sitting in a box waiting to go in. They are also much easier to install and much cheaper....

Agreed. $38+13 for shipping for a full poly front control arm, upper and lower both sides, is hard to beat with the ease of them being split so you can tap them in with a hammer.

Got them pressed out and new ones pressed in. He didn't get them all the way in but they seemed to draw in when the spindle nuts were tightened. Looks ok. Hope it is. I'm gonna have to get a small press to do these things myself.

• 1 year later...

I did the Energy Suspension UCA and LCA and sway bar bushing replacement recently and I had to cut the UCA and LCA bushings and bushing rod to fit. I did not have a press but heated the bushings and drilled them out in the case of the LCA's. UCA's came out fairly easy on mine. On the sway bar I had to cut the new bushing rod to fit. The biggest problem I had after that was hammering in the bushings in place everywhere or hammering the bushings with the UCA strut rod