Cleaner/Degreasers

badger67

Anyone know about the effectiveness of Kerosene to degrease the undercarriage, motor compartment of a high mileage vehicle? What is the best, yet economical degreaser to cut the crap so to speak?

Anyone know about the effectiveness of Kerosene to degrease the undercarriage, motor compartment of a high mileage vehicle? What is the best, yet economical degreaser to cut the crap so to speak?

Kerosene and rubber tend to not like each other. Kerosene will make the rubber swell and if it is nitrite rubber it will melt it.

Dawn or similar diswashing detergent and a good brush will work well. Brake cleaner to help loosen things will work well as will Simple Green and a brush

• Like 1

Purple or motor degreaser. I did find this stuff that worked great. I don't remember the name too it though and its not really help full. But it was piss yellow. Other then that I don't remember. It might have been for grills or NASA.

I have several gallons of purple power but those are not it. I also like Zep products, they work great.

But I cant seem too fine the Yellow stuff I had.

But above all, a heated Pressure washer is far better then most products.

I steam cleaned my under carriage and engine compartment. It made all the difference in the world. I should have metal brushed it and coated the frame while it was in that condition. Instead I took it back out to the mud. You wouldn't believe this, but it's dirty again.

Thanks for the advice fellas. The grunge is pretty thick and needs something effective for removal so that I can see what needs to be replaced under there. I'm sure everything in the undercarriage area is original with the exception of the muffler and tail pipe.