New Member, with a project 1993 Pathfinder

treinhardt

Hey guys,

I've been driving my Pathfinder for a couple years now but with a new job and a new commuter car, its time to start turning my truck into a more serious off-roader.

However, before I do that, I've got a couple problems that I need to diagnose before I start pouring (more) money into it.

Primary issue - Transmission shifting

My Pathfinder is an automatic and recently, I've been having problems getting it to make the final shift from 3rd into 4th. However, this seems to be related to how warm the transmission is because after a couple miles of driving (give or take due to air temp) it will shift into 4th and from there on out I won't have any problems with the transmission. I have also seen other posts from members describing the parking brake area getting hot. Mine does this as well, is this related?

Secondary issues - 4wd low, cabin light fuse keeps on burning out.

Long story short, I have not been able to get the truck to go into 4Lo, even when stopped and in neutral. The fuse for the cabin lights burns out any time I put a new one in, any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

~Tyler Reinhardt

Welcome to NOPRA!

Just a FYI, most of this stuff is well documented already so a search is recommended and this section is not the best place for visibility/answers; The Garage or year specific sections will work better.

That said, since you are a Noob I'll give you a basic rendition... :D

When was the fluid last changed, and have you verified proper flow through the tranny cooler in the bottom of the radiator? It sounds like your tranny is getting hot (bad)...

To get into 4wl, the tranny needs to be in neutral (or park, I can't recall) and you need to push down on the shifter then pull it back into 4wl. If it isn't used, the linkage can be stiff or even blocked with crap. This can be see/cleaned/lubricated from underneath on the drivers side.

As for the lights, sounds like you have a short in a wire. Time to start chasing wires with a multimeter to try to find it.

B

• 6 months later...

Welcome to NOPRA!

Just a FYI, most of this stuff is well documented already so a search is recommended and this section is not the best place for visibility/answers; The Garage or year specific sections will work better.

That said, since you are a Noob I'll give you a basic rendition... :D

When was the fluid last changed, and have you verified proper flow through the tranny cooler in the bottom of the radiator? It sounds like your tranny is getting hot (bad)...

To get into 4wl, the tranny needs to be in neutral (or park, I can't recall) and you need to push down on the shifter then pull it back into 4wl. If it isn't used, the linkage can be stiff or even blocked with crap. This can be see/cleaned/lubricated from underneath on the drivers side.

As for the lights, sounds like you have a short in a wire. Time to start chasing wires with a multimeter to try to find it.

B

Thanks for the advice, I just tried putting it in neutral and then pushing down on the shifter. It work great, a little grindy on the first couple of shifts from 2wd to 4wdLo, but I suspect that the truck has never been put in Lo before. Also, the shifter has to travel really far in order to be completely in 4wdLo.

I think the grinding going into 4 low is normal, mine does it too. I wouldn't be overly concerned with 4 low just for wheeling offroad, 4 high does a good job of getting you through the muck or up steep inclines just fine. For most trail and mud riding 2 hi or 4 hi will do fine. 4 low would be if you get into some really technical climbing or pulling someone out.

Mine only grinds if I don't stop before shifting or don't take it out of gear first. I've heard it can work in park but I've never managed it. I figure the coupler sleeve has to align the two bits it's sliding over, and if one is hooked to the wheels and the other is held by the parking pawl, it's not likely to succeed. Anyway, It's a nice thing to have, especially if you're driving in nasty stuff and you want to take it slow.

A hot trans isn't good. +1 on checking the cooler, or just disconnecting it and hooking up an aftermarket cooler in its place. IIRC I paid $7 for mine at a wrecking yard.