Opinion on new tires

headpeace

OK, I got these about 4 months ago. Started out at 35 psi and dropped to 30 psi which is where they are now and when I took this pic. I think something is wrong, shouldn't all the tread be contacting the ground at 30 psi on these ??

o8ve.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can I take these back and say there is a manufacturer defect? I don't want to run less than 30 if I'm rollin the streets. They all track like this

Hmm, have you tested it out using a different gauges? What brand and tire size are they? I personally never had this issue so I'm not to sure of the causes, otherwise just go back and complain, they might just give you new tires, but if all 4 are the same, maybe this is a common issue? Or that just the way they sit

Just did a little bit of research and it seems like a lot of guys are running at 27-20 psi (highway) and as low as 13 on trail.

What is the psi rating on the 33's

Edited by cvdloc

^exactly. I had the 31x10.5" BFG AT KOs on the stock steelies (6" wide IIRC) on my first Pathy, and they were a bit pinched like that. BFG states rim widths of 7-9".

IIRC, I ran mine at 28PSI front, 26PSI rear unloaded/28PSI loaded for best ride/footprint/wear.

B

You need to experiment with air pressure, there is no set pressure for any tire. The load range of the tire as was previously asked has a lot to do with the air pressure as well.

Per the BFG site for your tire the max load per tire is 2620 lbs @ 50 PSI, so if you times 2620 lbs x 4 that equals 10,480 lbs, the pathfinder does not weigh 10,480 lbs so you would not run 50 PSI, not that you are but you would be surprised on how many people run what the tire says on the sidewall.

So, I would mark the tires with chalk across the tread and take the truck for a drive going straight only, stop, look at the chalk on the tread, if the chalk is only worn in the center than lower the pressure, re mark the tread with the chalk, take another drive, when you get to the point where the chalk is wore off across the tread evenly than that is the pressure you should run.

just for reference the same tire in a 31/10.50/15 has a rating of 2250 lbs @ 50 PSI

and a 33/12.50/15 has a rating of 2225 lbs @ 35 PSI

Edited by ahardb0dy