power differences?

Guest Freaknasty

Guest Freaknasty

I am wondering what the difference in loss of power is when you add 32 inch tires opposed to 33's?

I have a 95 3.0L

thanks bros

Yo FN. Just to be silly I'll state that there is no power loss when switching tire size; the motor runs the same regardless. From there, the 'felt' loss of acceleration is usually whe one increases not decreases tire size

when you add 32 inch tires opposed to 33's

Did you mean the opposite ? Regardless, the 'power' loss would not be amazing for 1" difference in diameter, but will still be present...

B

Guest Freaknasty

im sorry what i mean is ..if i put on 33's thats alot more "meat" for the engine to push say up an incline ;)

i figured power loss would be a good way to describe it but now im thinking maybe not , anyway thats what i meant

going from 32" to 33" you'll have 96.97% of the acceleration you used to have at the same rpm and gear. Just take the ratio of the two tire diameters or radiuses (radii?). 31"/33" = .9394 = 93.94%. This ignores the extra weight of bigger tires which I think you mentioned earlier. I'd guess an extra couple of pounds per tire per inch, so nothing you're going to be able to notice.

Very well described.... In other words, yes, it will feel like there is less grunt, but .5" radius isn't going to make a huge difference. A better was to look at it is are you ok with the ability of your truck to push 32" tires ? If so, 33's probably wont make you cry, but if it is already lacking then don't go any bigger. Personally, I have 31" tires and would not go any larger with out engine power mods, but then that's just me. Just messing with you on the earlier post; I SORT OF understood what you were asking :P

Bernard

I was having the same debate with myself for a while. I just decided to buy 33x12.50's anyway because they look so good and Pathy's are a little ground clearance challenged in the first place.

I've added a K&N with a snorkel (homemade, Ramair) and a turbo muffler so that should have added something in the way of power.

You could add cams or gears for the same price roughly. Possibly you could add used Xterra gears for cheap.

I'll start looking for some 4.90 XTerra gears next. That will make up the difference!