Need help replacing the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

i also have a 94 se w/ VG30es motor.
my vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is toast...speedo bouncing around.
manual says VSS is in the instrument cluster (but the ka24e engine & most other cars have it attached to the tranny).
does anyone have any experience replacing the VSS?
manual says to pull the steering wheel & cluster out to replace the VSS.
just checking to see for sure. it's a lot of work.
In the EL section of the manual it refers to the VSS at the tranny.
any clues guys?

The VSS is in the transfer case, assuming you have a 4WD. Passenger side, held in by a single 10mm (maybe 12....pretty sure 10) and it will slide right out. Some tranny fluid will come out, be prepared for that.

Thanks this helps me as well, I've crawled under there like 3 times now looking in the back of the auto trans trying to find the vss, no wonder I couldn't find it! Too bad the OEM costs like $180 for the 31" tires version.

Are you positive its your VSS or is it the plastic pinion gear? There is a test using an OHM meter in the FSM I believe. My plastic pinion gear started loosing teeth, my VSS was fine. 20 bucks from Nissan and I'm good to go.

Also, my local Pick n Pull had one for 10-20 bucks. It worked, I was buying it because i thought it had the right gear. The unit itself doesn't fail that often that I'm aware of.

Question guys, in my 87 pickup my speedo doesn't work at all (not bouncing around like you said) do you think it's the vss? Or something else, I noticed that a wire was out of a plastic disconnect next to my tranny, so I cut it out and spliced the wires together, didn't work, is that plastic piece the key? I still have it so I can easily connect it back.

I have the day off so I'm going to do some research and work on the truck a bit, I have a small list of stuff to do and the speedo is one of them!

Edited by cvdloc