Clicking noise by shifter

Matthew K

Hello all,

I have a question about my automatic 2001 Pathfinder (SE). Two days ago I started hearing a new noise. When I'm parked and press the brake, I hear a click coming from what sounds like in the console near the shifter. It only clicks once/press of the brake pedal. I'm thinking it's a relay. Does anyone know what this is, and if this is something I should replace? The Pathfinder drives fine but this is kind of bugging me. Thanks!

MAtt

That's your shifter safety switch. It should only let you shift out of Park with your foot on the brake. From Neutral to either Drive or Reverse is open, though. That's just to keep people from bumping the shifter into neutral and having the vehicle roll away accidentally.

I get that clicking noise when I step on the brake. Its probably releasing the shifter so it can shift out of park. I never heard mine before either, until a few days ago. You probably only notice it cause you finally heard it. If you don't "try" and hear for it, you won't hear it. Don't let it bother you and you won't be so irritated.

Thanks guys for the response. I only actually heard it the other day when I was sitting in my car waiting for somebody and was tapping the brake out of boredom ;) So you don't think I need to lubricate it or anything? The clicking is normal? Thanks again.

Matt

Thanks guys for the response. I only actually heard it the other day when I was sitting in my car waiting for somebody and was tapping the brake out of boredom ;) So you don't think I need to lubricate it or anything? The clicking is normal? Thanks again.

Matt

lol... I did the same thing when the truck was new to me...

I'm so used to a manual transmission... :D