87 newbie needs help!

Hi all,

Just picked up an 87 SEV6 5-spd showing 280K miles. Truck starts fine, but has a horrible miss after warming up, not even driveable. Idle drops to around 500 while doing this. Seems to run much better when cold. Any ideas on where to start looking? I did check for codes per the FSM and have none present, and none on the dash.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Bryan

Another place to look is O2 sensor ... when the engine is cold the computer runs in "open loop" mode, ignoring the O2 sensor since it has to be up to operating temp before it's anywhere near accurate. After warming up, computer goes into "closed loop" mode and begins listening to the sensor. So it can at times be a culprit in problems that occur only when warmed up.

CHTS, its sub harness, dirty MAF/connector, maybe O2 but I've never had a bad/unplugged one mess with my TBI trucks. Check the routine tune up parts as well as the fuel filter.

Thanks guys, I believe I've found my problem... CTS is broken off in the head, found the harness and new CTS hidden beneath the air filter. I guess the PO that I bought from didnt care to share that with me. The broken CTS only has a brass stud sticking up and no nut left. Nowhere left to drill and use an easy-out and to small for visegrips. Any ideas on removal?

Is there anywhere else I could relocate the new CTS and function properly? Could I drill and tap the thermostat housing and install there? Or, if I knew the operating temp resistance of the CTS, I could just install a resistor in place to fool the ECU?

I did place the new CTS beside of the thermostat housing for now and it already runs somewhat better.

As always, any ideas or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

BT

Sounds like you found the problem alright. Can you post a pic of what's left of the old sensor? It's tough to give advice on removing something you can't visualize.

So long as we're trying, though, maybe you could JB weld something to it and back it out that way? You say there's a brass post sticking out, maybe if you drill a hole in an old bolt and glue it to the post, you could wrench the whole thing off that way?

Thanks,

Gonna try to JB Weld an old 1/4 socket on it today. Will report back. If that doesnt work, I may relocate the sensor to somewhere else in the cooling system