my 2003 pathfinder dies suddenly

m3gtr8

my dear pathfinder is sick ,
it dies suddenly after driving it for a while , i start it up and it works fine , o trouble codes , battery is good and no check engine light , any ideas ?

When it dies does everything (dash lights) go dead? If so check the battery terminals. If not, check the ignition system. It sounds like something is loose, but given that it's intermittent this may be a bugger to track down.

Similar to the issue I had...

As bushnut states 1 of 3 things.

Check:

Air - Intake hose, Throttle body (for cleanliness), vacuum lines, (as many as you can - there are some hidden under the plenum)

PCV valve, AIC valve (Air intake control, hidden under the plenum as well)

Electrical - Battery leads, distributor cap, rotor, wires (make sure none have popped off or are loose), MAF sensor (may need a cleaning),

TPS sensor, battery voltage when vehicle off and when charging ( charging should be around 14. sum'n volts) no problems

starting so don't think you need to look at the starter. (Have you replaced anything electrical recently? (plugs, sensors, etc?

Check those) timing...

Fuel - Fuel filter, evaporative discharge cannister might be plugged, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator (under the plenum).

Also, have you filled up with fuel from a different gas station recently? do you experience any pinging or hesitation at all? These trucks are very finicky when it comes to the kind of fuel they drink.

Lastly, check your accessory belts. Are they all there? Are you getting any whine/squeal from any of them? Could mean its not spinning the alternator as it should, preventing a full charge.

My issue turned out to be too much un-metered (after the MAF and TPS) air into the engine, causing it to run too rich and stall.

Good luck! Hope you find the issue sooner, rather than later.

Oh, yeah...just 'cause you don't have an engine light on, does not mean your car doesn't have a soft-code. Get yourself a code reader and check for them codes... :aok: Ask me how I know... :sssh: