Permatex Vinyl Repair

rbaum94

Hey guys, Got this very small rip in my door handle and was wondering what input you guys have if you're familiar with this product? The questions I have are, is it small enough to not need the supporting paper? So I just put in the glue, dry, then add the compound and heat?34y1x51.jpg

Also any idea which grey is closest? I'm pretty damn near color blind, so if you guys know which one would be ideal to mark it in the picture I provide pleaseee? :)

Making her look brand new!

Will post before and after pics so you guys can see if this product is good enough to try!

34y1x51.jpg

e17pt0.jpg

2pqm6oy.jpg

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the product myself so hopefullysomeone else can chime in.

As for the color matching, I could help, but the photos you posted leave a lot to be desired in the sharpness and illumination departments. It is definitely in the 3 'Start with Blue' categories but we need something better to tell.

Might I suggest that you take the picture in daylight, but probably not in direct sunlight and lay the color chart with the 3 'Start with Blue' categories laying flat on a flat portion of the armrest and then take a picture as perpendicular to the surfaces as possible. I'd also recommend using a camera but few peoople seem to have them anymore...

B

So I guess I got ahead of myself and only posted because I was excited. I've had a really badly ripped door arm, and found a good replacement at the local junk yard, but to my despair, it was also ripped, but not as bad.

Here is the after shot!

2nsb0ps.jpg

Definitely a good buy!

That is incredible. How does it feel to the touch? I mean, can it be sanded down to smooth the surface?

I'd also recommend using a camera but few peoople seem to have them anymore...

B

I know right? Some people even like to play with the filters to make the pictures tint some fancy shmancy colors.

• Like 1

Yeah, It can be sanded to get an extra fine coat, The picture isn't a perfect showing of it, but Its pretty damn near close to covering the rip, its only noticeable when you look directly at it close up haha. but it did a better job then expected and now it doesn't scratch my damn arm all the time. haha

actually the color chart didn't do me any justice. I just took a paper plate, put about a dime amount of white (pretty much all i need) and added a small grain of black, mixed and put some on the handle to see if it matched, I repeated this process about 3 times before it was the perfect color.

If you want to get it perfect and not waste a whole paint, just use my method and just take out a little bit on a plate or somethen, rather then just adding the color to your whole paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice - good work.

Hah, my Dad cut a thin piece hardboard to the shape of the top of the handle, covered it in grey (bad match) vinyl, and stuck it on top with contact adhesive. Wish I had a photo... Needless to say I replaced it when I took over the vehicle, bit too ghetto for my taste.

Took a while to find a good one though - appears this is a weak spot on the interior.