How to find squeaking issue.......

enkrypt3d

I'm pulling what little hair I have left in my head out over this.....

I've replaced every rubber part in the front end that I can think of.......

NEW:

Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushings
Upper & lower Control Arm Bushings

Inner & Outer Toe links

Center Link

Idler Arm

Upper & Lower Ball Joints

Sway bar bushings

NEW Front Axles..........

I've been getting nothing but the runaround from the dealership ever since I brought my truck back to fix the original issue that I came there to fixed. It's still not resolved.
Jose told me that I never brought these issues up to him initially (when this is actually written on the original invoice that I was complaining of noises coming from the front suspension) ... When I first met Jose told me he would diagnose the problem before replacing anything. Now he's telling me he never said that and that I never brought these issues to him when its written on the original invoice.
I was told:
During a test drive with the tech:
"Even new cars make this noise" < this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard any "knowledgeable" technician tell me about an issue with a vehicle. This by itself disqualifies him as being a so called expert.
"You're not supposed to drive it that way" (essentially blaming me for driving incorrectly!?)
"That its an old truck and it's going to make noise" - sure I agree but I have driven plenty of old trucks that don't make that much noise.
I told the service manager that I didn't get this much bs at my Lexus dealer and he said "we're not lexus"
Am I to believe that since they're not a Lexus dealership that I'm supposed to get a lower level of customer service? They were giving me a hard time for keeping the car while they waited on some horn parts and then the truck sits all week with *nothing* done to it when the AC could have been fixed if Anthony (another service assistant) communicated that I wanted to get it fixed. Now I have to wait another 4-5 days for them guys to get your acts together.

And now I'm told that there are no OEM zerk fittings to lube the chassis - is this true? If so where are they? Can someone show me in the FSM where they can lube the crap out of this thing and I can be done with it? I've already dropped 5k on a 2k truck......... aaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkgrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've even escalated this issue to the general manager of Nissan and he doesn't seem to give a $h!t either......

Edited by enkrypt3d

As far as a stock truck.....the only zerk I recall is on the front drive shaft. Some aftermarket ball joints, TRE's, center links etc. have them, some do not. I thought in your other thread you said you could only get the noise doing 20-25 over a speed bump?

I'd hate to say it, but the old saying "sometimes if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself" comes to mind. Tough luck. You can only really push back on them so much, before you'll get tired of trying. It sounds like they aren't that interested in your business anyhow.

The front drive shaft has a zerk. Mine had them on the upper and lower Ball joints. I thought they were OEM, but maybe they were always aftermarket. This maybe is a stupid question, but have you replaced the shocks, especially as you've replaced everything else. Worn shocks sometimes have a tendency to squeak on speed bumps etc.

No - if the speed bump is one of those small sharp speed bumps i can make the noise at 5mph..... i just wish i could replicate it w/ it on the ground and not moving......

Yes shocks are new.. Rancho RS5K. They sure didn't mind taking my $4500.........

Is it possible the front drive shaft is squeaking?

Edited by enkrypt3d

Is it possible they forgot to lube these parts? And if so is it hard to do? ie: similar to zerk fittings?

Front Lower; Incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfaces

Moog ball joint part #'s:

K9347

K9022

I would spray each bushing with WD40 one at a time, cycle the suspension manually, ( push down on the fender/bumper a few times to make the suspension move) than go for a test drive where you know you hear the noise, keep doing it until the noise stops.

The usual culprit for front end squeaks is the upper control arm bushings, especially if they are poly bushings.

Where are you from by the way? Anybody (forum member) near by you that possibly can assist you with this?

If the dealer won't help you go above the dealer.

Edited by ahardb0dy

All the bushings that I replaced are moog which I think are rubber? I have no idea...... I got them from rock auto which has very little description on them.

Sorry to hear about your troubles at the dealer. You are right, if you spent that much there, they should take your noise concerns seriously. So I am clear, if I jumped into your rig, how/when does the noise happen? The more specific, the better. Can you take a video of the noise as it happens? And as stated, where are you? Maybe someone can help you out.

Next time I go see it at the shop I'll take some video - it can only be reproduced when going over speed bumps at any speed as long as the front end bounces enough.....

Its just really frustrating that I had to get the general manager on the phone to light a fire under someone's ass to get some actual customer service. I'm in Los Angeles and my commute is 4 miles of pot holes and pavement that's been patched 30 times.....

Anyways the only parts that have not been replaced are the torsion bars but there aren't many moving parts there right? They did crank them up to raise up the front end and it was quieter for about a week and then the sound gradually came back...... very strange.

http://autos.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/Nissan-Pathfinder/message/3703

This is also interesting - what parts would need to be greased?

ahardb0dy yes I have 2 cars that are the same age and can put up with simple rattles etc but this is embarrassingly loud and inexcusable for it not to get fixed.... Edited by enkrypt3d

Ok, so the torsion bars had been pulled, then leveled with a alignment. Possible something loose or not installed correctly with the torsion hangers. I wasn't sure if you were stating, or someone else, about the noise coming on during sharp corners. If so, the power steering stops may be missing their caps. You can apply some grease to where they contact. I would also take a look at your front sway bar mounts, at the front crossmember. I've seen the bolts fall out for no good reason. There should be lots of zerks to grease. Tie rod ends(inner and outers), upper ball joints and the front drive shaft. Take a look and see what you find.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

yes this happens when driving in any direction and the steering stops have been replaced along with sway bar bushings and everything is greased up. Next week ill be going by there and not leaving until we isolate the problem.

I dont think the torsion bars were removed only tightened...... based on the link in my last post, what parts need lube on the torsion bars? I know the part that holds the twisting of the torsion bar in place must be under a lot of force so maybe its rubbing on something as it flexes?

The torsion bars are basically just springs, I don't see how they could squeak. I've heard that poly bushings squeak like mad if you don't grease them, so you may be onto something there. Make sure you don't do the bounce test with the e-brake on, I know mine makes noises of its own.

there is nothing on the torsion bars that needs to be lubed, the rear adjuster doesn't move it just holds the bar at a set preload, when the lower control arm moves up or down the bar just twists, The only thing with the bars that is advised is when removing them or installing new ones is to cost the spines with some grease so they don't seize when if ever they need to be removed again.

The noise going away when the truck's height was raised than the noise coming back when the torsion bars settled is something I'm trying to figure out. The height shouldn't make a difference really as far as causing a squeak/noise.

You don't have the truck near you at this time I guess, next time you see your truck, how much space is there between the upper control arm and the bumpstop?

So the ball joints are the only things that can really be greased right? What would happen if they didn't grease the new ones? They should have zerk fittings on them right?

Some aftermarket ball joints will have a screw in plug where the zerk fitting would go and they will include the zerk fittings, than you have to remove the plug and install the zerk fitting, but some aftermarket ball joints are sealed and do not need grease.

Almost all aftermarket ball joints with grease zerks don't come packed, just enough grease to keep them from rusting. If you don't pack them before installing they'll be ruined real quick and can lock up.

amazed that the issue was FIXED! I still have to ask them what it was that fixed the problem...... the suspension is quiet (for now) lets hope it stays that way! I'll update everyone when I hear what the problem was..........