two fast questions and a discussion starter

stabworthy

one: What wires are between my center console and my gear stick, under the carpet and right under the sheet metal ?? i need to know because i'm about zip two screws to secure a cup-holder.

two: Where is the return side(engine side) of the harness that to the speed sensor ? pin out would be nice

three: best fluid(in your opinion) for engine, power steering,clutch, brakes, manual trans , tcase,and diffs (rear lsd) ? not what will work, the best brands and grades , the stuff that makes you stoked to replenish your fluids.

i am weird, i know

Yay, a fluid question. Sorry, I don't know the answers to your other two questions.

Engine oil: anything will be fine for a 5k mile oil change interval, use whatever is cheapest. There will be no appreciable difference in wear between a conventional and synthetic engine oils unless you extend your oil change interval to around 7.5k miles and beyond.

Power steering fluid: synthetic ATF claiming to meet Dexron III specifications; synthetic will provide better cold-weather performance and lower operating temperature of the power steering system somewhat. PSF can get very hot. I change out one reservoir-full of fluid at each oil change, helps keep the fluid fresh.

Brakes and clutch: Any DOT3 fluid; doesn't matter much here as long as you flush the systems every two years or so

Manual trans and transfer case: GL-4 fluid such as Amsoil MTG, Redline MT-90. Do NOT use a GL-5 or dual-rated GL-4/GL-5 fluid here!

Differentials: Any GL-5 80W-90 or 75W-90. Nearly all 75W-90 gear oils are synthetic and may improve MPG slightly due to decreased drag when the fluid is cold. If there's Advance Auto Parts near you, you can purchase Mobil 1 75W-90 inexpensively if you order online and use discount codes then pick up in store. Buy brake fluid from AAP online too, discount codes are applicable for it as well.

Edited by Towncivilian

Yay, a fluid question. Sorry, I don't know the answers to your other two questions.

Engine oil: anything will be fine for a 5k mile oil change interval, use whatever is cheapest. There will be no appreciable difference in wear between a conventional and synthetic engine oils unless you extend your oil change interval to around 7.5k miles and beyond.

Power steering fluid: synthetic ATF claiming to meet Dexron III specifications; synthetic will provide better cold-weather performance and lower operating temperature of the power steering system somewhat. PSF can get very hot. I change out one reservoir-full of fluid at each oil change, helps keep the fluid fresh.

Brakes and clutch: Any DOT3 fluid; doesn't matter much here as long as you flush the systems every two years or so

Manual trans and transfer case: GL-4 fluid such as Amsoil MTG, Redline MT-90. Do NOT use a GL-5 or dual-rated GL-4/GL-5 fluid here!

Differentials: Any GL-5 80W-90 or 75W-90. Nearly all 75W-90 gear oils are synthetic and may improve MPG slightly due to decreased drag when the fluid is cold. If there's Advance Auto Parts near you, you can purchase Mobil 1 75W-90 inexpensively if you order online and use discount codes then pick up in store. Buy brake fluid from AAP online too, discount codes are applicable for it as well.

I am relieved you mentioned the Amsoil MTG for the manual transmission, since this is what I just put in it. I've used Royal Purple before but its expensive. I only used cause I didn't have time to wait to order either Amsoil or Redline. Getting harder and harder to find yellow metal compatible gear oil in normal auto parts stores.

Not thread jack, but what is your opinion on Lucas Oil stablizer?

no , this is what i wanted , a discussion.

i forgot to mention , my truck sees more +100 temps than - 30 temps .

one: What wires are between my center console and my gear stick, under the carpet and right under the sheet metal ?? i need to know because i'm about zip two screws to secure a cup-holder.

E-Brake switch

Seat belt switch

Fog light switch (if equipt)

Vehicle alarm (if equipt)

two: Where is the return side(engine side) of the harness that to the speed sensor ? pin out would be nice

It is one of the plugs on the passenger side of the vehicle near the fender and power steering reservior, but I dont rememebr which one......

Follow the harness from the speed sensor along the frame forward and up to the firewall and you will figure it out :happy:

I am relieved you mentioned the Amsoil MTG for the manual transmission, since this is what I just put in it. I've used Royal Purple before but its expensive. I only used cause I didn't have time to wait to order either Amsoil or Redline. Getting harder and harder to find yellow metal compatible gear oil in normal auto parts stores.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is SAE90 gear oil with zero additives. All it does is thicken your engine oil and dilute its additive pack. If you feel the need to use a thicker oil, step up a grade instead of dumping in this gorilla snot. If I recall correctly, LOS used in an engine may also cause foaming of the oil, and air is a terrible lubricant.

I've mostly used it in the transmission and the transfer case and not nearly as much as the bottle recommends. Haven't had any issues yet. I have run it in the engine oil on occassion, but only like a 1/4 of quart. I'll probably stop that all together. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by andreus009