Fog light mounting help?

rbaum94

So my pathy fog lights burned out, so I went to go find new bulbs in my tool shed and I found Two new working fog lights!

The only problem is that they just barely fit into the inserts because of the design of where the screws go in. So what I was thinking on doing was use a dremel to file the excess plastic away to free some space to fit in the inserts in the bumper.

So my question for you guys is if you have any tips for me while I do this or if you know of other (better probably haha) ideas that may work instead of me just using a dremel on these babys.

The dimesions are about 5in L 1in H about 2.5in H

Also I have these clips that the screws for the foglights eventually went on (pics shown)

Thanks!

zo7sz.jpg

ohqmuq.jpg

bjaejd.jpg

2rmbi9e.jpg

I'd check first and see if the bulbs in the new lights fit the old housings. If they do it'll save a whole lot of mucking around and look better IMO. If they don't, it's probably less effort to get the right bulbs for the old lights than to hack the ovals.

If you like the ovals though, I see no reason why you couldn't dremel off the the rounded mounting bit (that's what's hitting?) and secure the lights to the factory brackets. I'd probably make a thin sheet metal bracket (out of an old spray paint can or something) that would cradle the light from behind (lots of surface area for epoxy) and then give you something to bolt/rivet/weld/ziptie to the brakets.

I just need a schematic to show how the factory foglights are supposed to be wired. I don't know how it happened but mine got all screwed up, where as they used to work. I could turn them off and on with the toggle switch but only when the headlights were turned on. Then I guess when I had my front seal and timing belt replaced the guys had to remove the bumper because and disconnect everything because now the right foglight stays on (if I put the fuse in the link) but goes off when I turn the headlights on, and then the left one comes on! I can't get them both on at the same time and I cannot turn off the right one unless I remove the fuse.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

IIRC they were originally wired to come on with the low beams only, so yours were correct until the mechanic somehow buggered the wiring. The FSM doesn't seem to cover them, so I'm not sure how they were originally hooked up. Mine were screwy when I got the truck, so I dunno how they were originally. Here's how they are now. (The two lights are wired in parallel, in case that isn't clear.)

One wire from the lights hooks to ground (the truck's body). This could be one wire from each or one combined wire, doesn't really matter, whatever's easy so long as they're both grounded. The wires coming out the other side of the lights go together and to the switched part of the relay (mine's on the passenger's side firewall by the hood hinge). The relay connects that wire to fused + (mine's just a wire with an inline fuse going to the positive battery terminal). Then you've got the relay coil hooked to ground on one side, and to a wire running into the cab and to a switch on the other. If you want to turn them on regardless of the headlights, hook the switch to + at the fusebox. Running fogs and high beams together is illegal in some states (I have no idea why), so mine are hooked to one of my low-beam headlight leads, which wasn't being used after I did the headlight relay mod. Switch off, no fogs. Switch on, low beams, fogs come on. If you want you could hook it to the parking lights instead so that you could run fogs with no headlights, if for some reason you wanted to.

So with the fogs on, you have current flowing from ground, through the lights, through the relay contacts, to battery +. You also have current flowing from ground, through the relay coil, through the fog light switch, through the headlight switch, and then through the factory harness to battery +.

Hope this helps!