Here is an article about the US car market restrictions

Precise1

Not terribly in depth, but it touches enough to point out some of the foolishness and spark discussion.

http://ericpetersautos.com/2013/06/04/gms-9800-car-the-one-were-not-allowed-to-buy/

I'm the first to call someone who cuts off their cat (for any reason) a D!(%head, but as the article points out, some of the emission goals are getting rediculous. I'd argue that more effort needs to be put into fuel efficiency than emissions at this point (an obvious way to significantly cut them further) and electric vehicles. Convincing Johnny Little Prick that his Super Duty 350 isn't an acceptable vehicle to commute to his desk job (ie change in attitudes and mentality) would go a long way as well!

As for the safety part, I think the illustration that a 2003 S-class Mercedes wouldn't pass current safety standards says it all; that is plain stupid! Lets focus more on better driving habits and stiffer penalties for excessive behavior and accidents...

35 in a 25mph school zone? $500 ticket the first time just might make you pay better attention.

Texting and cell phone use has been proven to be as dangerous as drunk driving. You lose your license and have still penalties for a drunk driving conviction, so do the same for cell phone use! (this includes cops)

Make an accident caused by clearly negligent driving be a misdemeaner with required court fines/sentencing.

Might seem harsh, but it would make things a lot safer and cut down on the idiot drivers who don't seem to care significantly. It seems to be forgotten that driving is a priviledge, not a right.

*End Rant* :lol:

B

I get so angry when I read articles like this. Gee, thanks for pissing me off B. :lol:

I actually had this Metro when I was in high school. Mine was a deep blue and sported the very same 12" steel wheels. It had a plastic plug where a cigarette lighter would go and was a real gas sipper (46 mpg with my slow driving habits IIRC). I learned how to drive a manual transmission on it from the dealer lot to my parents driveway. I was so proud the first time I drove it to school without stalling at the stoplight on the hill just outside the school. Oh, and this little beaut had three cylinder engine to boot!

Sail-Metro.jpg

Its true. The EPA and FDOT is out of control. But going there probably gets to political for this forum.

The FDOT safety standards is one reason why new trucks & SUV look horrendous. They basically have to have the same height bumper as a car. Remember the trucks from the '90s? They would come factory with damn near a 6" lift. Now? You can barely clear a speed bump.

... But going there probably gets to political for this forum.

Quote of the damn year as far as I see it. One of my attractions to this forum is the lack (or, absence) of politics and religion. We can all get along if we steer clear from those topics. Great observation Reb!

Not terribly in depth, but it touches enough to point out some of the foolishness and spark discussion.

http://ericpetersautos.com/2013/06/04/gms-9800-car-the-one-were-not-allowed-to-buy/

I'm the first to call someone who cuts off their cat (for any reason) a D!(%head, but as the article points out, some of the emission goals are getting rediculous. I'd argue that more effort needs to be put into fuel efficiency than emissions at this point (an obvious way to significantly cut them further) and electric vehicles. Convincing Johnny Little Prick that his Super Duty 350 isn't an acceptable vehicle to commute to his desk job (ie change in attitudes and mentality) would go a long way as well!

As for the safety part, I think the illustration that a 2003 S-class Mercedes wouldn't pass current safety standards says it all; that is plain stupid! Lets focus more on better driving habits and stiffer penalties for excessive behavior and accidents...

35 in a 25mph school zone? $500 ticket the first time just might make you pay better attention.

Texting and cell phone use has been proven to be as dangerous as drunk driving. You lose your license and have still penalties for a drunk driving conviction, so do the same for cell phone use! (this includes cops)

Make an accident caused by clearly negligent driving be a misdemeaner with required court fines/sentencing.

Might seem harsh, but it would make things a lot safer and cut down on the idiot drivers who don't seem to care significantly. It seems to be forgotten that driving is a priviledge, not a right.

*End Rant* :lol:

B

A-EFing men brother!!

I agree about not driving the big truck to work if it's not needed so I leave my 12 mpg titan at home and drive my 12 mpg pathfinder to work instead. Hey wait that's not right!

James

Your Pathy only gets 12mpg? And you call yourself a mechanic? Get to work!! P...

;)

That guy sure is in love with the word fatwa. I agree that the standards are ridiculous but the author is difficult to take seriously.

Agreed, but once you don't let such a silly little thing distract you and you look past it, there is some real information and value IMHO. :shrug:

I get so angry when I read articles like this. Gee, thanks for pissing me off B. :lol:

I actually had this Metro when I was in high school. Mine was a deep blue and sported the very same 12" steel wheels. It had a plastic plug where a cigarette lighter would go and was a real gas sipper (46 mpg with my slow driving habits IIRC). I learned how to drive a manual transmission on it from the dealer lot to my parents driveway. I was so proud the first time I drove it to school without stalling at the stoplight on the hill just outside the school. Oh, and this little beaut had three cylinder engine to boot!

Sail-Metro.jpg

What part angers you? Share your feelingz vis ze group...

Its true. The EPA and FDOT is out of control. But going there probably gets to political for this forum.

The FDOT safety standards is one reason why new trucks & SUV look horrendous. They basically have to have the same height bumper as a car. Remember the trucks from the '90s? They would come factory with damn near a 6" lift. Now? You can barely clear a speed bump.

Well, as long as going there doesn't start with 'Stupid hippie, tree hugging libtard MoFos', I think we are all adult enough to hear an informed opinion. ;)

A-EFing men brother!!

Here's to Grumpy Old Men 3!! :beer:

:lol:

B