Whoops ! (Work Truck stuck)

ahardb0dy

Had to back our new $140K Valve operating truck, 2012 F-550 4x4 up over a curb on a landscaped hill to get to a 24" valve to exercise it, this was last Thursday and it rained all day. Got the truck off the road and had to wait about 40 minutes for the rain to let up, exercised the valve and started to try to drive back onto the road when I felt the rear of the truck start to slide down the incline. Got out locked the hubs and put it in 4 low, didn't help as I proceeded to bury it until the all the wheels were off the ground spinning, the rear steps and rear bumper were just about touching the ground as well.

Had to get a tow truck out to pull the truck out. The guy had like a Ford F-900 style tow truck and connected one winch cable to a chain attached to the two front tow points, he lowered his rear supports and started winching, it just pulled his truck sideways our Ford did not budge an inch, he than pulled out his second winch cable and using both was able to un-stuck our truck, some pics below:

Pass rear:

am603r.jpg

Dr, front:

2yya68j.jpg

rear bumper almost on the ground:

972l9e.jpg

pass front:

2mmz4sj.jpg

another view dr. front:

m7mrr.jpg

dr. rear:

x35vuf.jpg

I did something similar when I was a teenager working for my home town beach maintenance crew. saw some dudes tracks drive over a dune and on to the beach. didn't realize that his tracks were much narrower than mine ( I was in a F-250 crew cab ) I got about 2 lengths in and was starting to spin. due to my inexperience I put it in 4LO and spun the tires once and I sunk to the frame rails. The tail gate when open was only about an inch off the sand. It took a 3 ton truck to pull me out. Lesson learned.

This happened after lunch, almost an hour waiting for the tow truck, than I took it down a access road for some water plant and used the on board pressure washer to clean all the dirt and mud off from underneath and from the inside of the dually wheels, it had a slight vibration until I realized I didn't unlock the hubs ! we even had time to do another valve. ABS light was staying on for some reason but the next morning it went off.