What's up with that? (Twin Turbo Toyota Supra)

gv280z

You guys remember when this awesome freaking beast was let loose on the world back in the early 90s? We all went WOW!! with stunned faces and then the Government said "Ahh but there's a catch! Each State is allocated only (I forget which) 1 - 2 twin turbo 6 speed tranny Supras per year/month (again I forget the details)"

What was it? Why the clamp on the number of allowed 6 speed tranny Supras, was it emissions or something? I'm sure I'm somehow mis-remembering and screwing this all up, I just read the wiki on the Mark IV and didn't see anything there on the regulated number of these.

The auto manufacturers have to produce for sale X number of vehicles that have 'high' MPG for every Y vehicle they make that has low 'MPG'

I do not knwo when that law went into effect though but do know the MPG number goes up from time to time.

I suspect though that what you are thinking of was a limited production run dealer allocation from the manufacturer.

They got rid of the 6-speed for 1996 Supras for emission requirements, wikipedia says for OBD-II requirements as well. Then they brought it back, except in CARB states.

Edited by Tjmarchand