Transmission cooler

Ok, so I have a buddy with a 06. Talked to him about the possible radiator/trans cooler leak. He would like me to possibly put on a aftermarket cooler. Has anyone installed one in their R51? If so, what brand and how/where did you mount it? Thanks ahead of time. If no one has, I may figure something out and do a writeup.

How much room is there between the A/C condenser and the bumper cover area? A B&M 70264 is 24k GVW and will fit unless there's just very little room. Maybe a photo would help. A Magnefine in-line filter install will be beneficial too. This TSB will tell you which cooler line is which.

How much room is there between the A/C condenser and the bumper cover area? A B&M 70264 is 24k GVW and will fit unless there's just very little room. Maybe a photo would help. A Magnefine in-line filter install will be beneficial too. This TSB will tell you which cooler line is which.

That TSB is for the older rigs. Addresses the issue of clogging. The 05-06's can develop a crack between the radiator and cooler, hence why I want to go around it.

The R51 already has an external transmission cooler mounted on the front of the radiator behind the front grille. Looks just like a B&M trans cooler.

Just reroute the hoses to bypass the radiator.

The path for the oil lines goes trans->radiator->cooler->trans.

• 1 year later...

Would bypassing it cause problems during cold weather? I was under the impression the fluid went through the radiator to pick up some heat. Im not sure why this is designed this way if in fact that is true. I live in the mountains where it can get to -40. If I bypass the radiator and run a circuit of trans--cooler--trans will I see problems with trans fluid being too cold? I had a firend who installed a bigger tranny cooler because he towed heavy and a lot here in the mountains and he would have to cover the tranny cooler if it was below 20 degrees or it would shift really hard. I tow a small camper but it only weights 2k but it is up a lot of mountain roads. Just want to avoid SMOD.

Edited by zonianbrat