Wheel bearings

Recently, while doing brakes, I repacked bearings and had a good look at them. Looks like the races need to be pressed out/in.

The bearings really didn't look bad but I was thinking about changing these these as routine maintenance. I've got 200K miles on the truck.

Is this a good idea ?

Anyone done this ?

Yes, I have but if the bearings didn't have evidence of wear and still run smoothly, just repack and reinstall them. The ones I changed on my second Pathy were crunchy, you could feel it when rotating them by hand...

B

Yes, you always replace needle or roller bearings and races as a set (the bearings will come with races), spherical caged bearings not so much as they are generally used in low pressure, non-critical applications.

I changed mine in the driveway with appropriate sized pieces of soft metal, 2x4s and a dead blow (to remove/install the races), but you can just take the rotor to a shop and have them press out/press in the races and do the rest yourself. Generally, the outer are the high load ones that wear/get damaged more, but my attitude is that if you change the bearings, change all of them, both inner and outer.

If you do, you will need a set of inner bearings/races, a set of outer bearings/races and an inner seal per side. Look in the FSM (available for download in a pinned thread in the Garage section) for the instructions and preload settings...

B

Edited by Precise1
clarified
  • Like 1

I used the old races to pound in the new ones with a ball pein hammer, it worked out pretty good for me. You can also use a brass punch, i used to use one of them to set races in the hubs of tractor trailers, just make sure you do it evenly or you will have a lot of fun getting that race in.

Take your time. Like others have said, don't get too happy with the hammer. Don't continue to hit the same spot every time. Hit different spots. When you think it is seated, go around it one more time to be sure.