How smooth are these R50 transmissions supposed to shift?

PrecisionX

I was curious to know what to expect for transmission performance out of a 3.5L R50? Coming from an E46 BMW automatic transmission that was essentially seemless I drove one that was for sale for a friend who's looking but three states over, he asked me to test drive the R50 and it seems a bit rough around the edges. Potent shift from 1st to 2nd, sluggish to third and smoother to 4th. The rpms don't jump when changing just seems to hold for a second before it shifts. Might be completely normal?

I'm OCD about this stuff, if overdrive is off and I stomp on it, seems to be fine, same when overdrive is on. It just seemed slow going to third around town (30mph speed limit). Any thoughts? I don't want to have him buy a bad one

I have the 3.3L but I'm presuming it's the same tranny. Mine shifts a little hard from 1st to 2nd especially when it's cold, but all the other shifts are smooth & no hesitation.

An E46 BMW transmission it certainly is not. :tongue:

1->2 is characteristically rough with our RE4R01A transmission. 2->3 can be a little slow.

As long as the transmission fluid has been maintained and it looks bright red on the dipstick, it should be in good condition.

• Like 1

If the truck is fairly local to you. Ask the seller to accompany you to a shop so you can have it checked out. Most transmission shops will do that for you. Some charge a fee, some may want a appointment.

Can also see what the local dealership might charge for a vehicle inspection. I know that my local dealer pretty much charges at least $100 to do pretty much anything. But you might have better luck.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, a hard 1-2 shift and a slower 2-3 shift is normal for these. Mine does it too, I wouldn't worry about it. I would however ask if the 3.5 engine is burning oil. My dad's 03 uses a quart or two between oil changes and from what I've read, the issue is not uncommon.

That sounds about like what mine does. 2x for checking into the oil isse. Also, my cousin had a 02 for a while and on a trip up to the mountains he had a cylinder fill with oil. Not saying thats common just somehting to ask about.

That's about where my tranny is, I'm not a huge fan of the way it shifts but that's about normal: 1-2 is hard, especially when cold, 3-4 smoother and downshifting from 4-3 is a little rough at all times.

I'm getting the tranny flushed, we'll see if there's any change. I get the feeling the tranny is what holds back the power...I can't complain too much though, it's just not up to some of my other frequent drivers.

Coming from an E46 BMW automatic transmission that was essentially seemless I drove one that was for sale for a friend who's looking but three states over, he asked me to test drive the R50 and it seems a bit rough around the edges.

BMW automatics are sourced from GM.