Manifold heat shield

AzZo

Question how important is the shield do you have to have it on? When you install headers do they come with shields.I was trying to take left side off but even with pb blaster I snapped one bolt off so I stopped the bolts are so rusty I am afraid if I continue I will just snap all the rest.I really wanted to check the manifold bolts to see if any need replacing.Can I run it with no heat shields? HELP IN IOWA UNSURE.

They are totally unimportant, you can run without them just fine. One of our resident mechanics says he just throws them away when doing manifold work.

B

Thank you B. I surmized as much but just wanted to be sure. Not much heat coming off manifold and plug wires are to high to be a problem and nothing else is to close so yea you are so right. Thank's Again, john.

I actually removed one of mine recently to check the exhaust studs and all the shield bolts came out with out breaking, I was shocked

Me too,shocked that is no rust is always a good thing.The old saying is rust never sleeps and pathfinders sure have thier fair share of it. THANKS FOR THE REPLY I am not going to worry about it and go a head and check out manifold bolt's. Have a slight ticking at start up that go's away when warmed up.

Thank you B. I surmized as much but just wanted to be sure. Not much heat coming off manifold and plug wires are to high to be a problem and nothing else is to close so yea you are so right. Thank's Again, john.

Any time Bud. :beer:

B

• 10 months later...

Hi!

I borrow this thread for a trivial question regarding the heat shield bolts.

What socket did you use to loosen the bolts?

9mm is to small and 10mm to big...

Don't know if it should be an inch socket, would that be 3/8? (not familiar with inch measurements)

I also have a ticking sound at warm up and would like to check the manifold studs.

Guys, just browsing this topic. Going to have to remove mine as have broken studs and a set of extractors to go in. My question is I notice that both heat shields have what looks like a ground wire from body to the shield. If I take them off do I need to replace them?