Front Suspension Popping Noise

Karmann

My 2002 Pathy 4x4 makes a popping noise when the wheel is fully cranked to the left, specifically at low speeds, and is highly audible when backing out of a parking space for instance. I would describe the sound as almost a creak, but mainly a pop with resonance. I can easily replicate it, and happens the most when in reverse, but also appears when moving forward. I have cranked the wheel fully to the right and left and I see no rubbing, and it seems to emanate from the front passenger suspension. It was there both before and after I installed Manual Hubs.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-Karmann

I had a broken strut mount that made sounds like that .

My guess is strut bearing.

So how would I check/replace these things?

And to CV- they look good on the outside, and considering the noise still appears when I have the hubs unlocked and CVs not turning, that probably isn't it.

I think mine is making noise at the endlinks, might want to check those?

If you park your pathfinder with the wheel turned they way it normally makes the noise and push on the bumper and fender (carefull not to dent it) and see if the noise is still there. Also try to make the noise moving but on very smooth pavement. This should help you decifer between suspension noise or a rotating noise (like CV joint/bearing etc). Hope it helps.

So how would I check/replace these things?

And to CV- they look good on the outside, and considering the noise still appears when I have the hubs unlocked and CVs not turning, that probably isn't it.

Oops, I overlooked your last sentence about the hubs.

Did you check your rack and pinion mounts? One could be shot that allows it to move around. When mine were shot and it sounded like a strut popping turning and going over speed bumps. <br />See my Members ride thread on my R&P mounts. <br /><br />Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for spacing out a bit... :blush:

strut mount pop hood and have someone rock the hell out of it with u looking at the center bolts if u see it move up while the body goes down your mount is toast.

Tried that, they didn't move.

I think mine is making noise at the endlinks, might want to check those?

If you park your pathfinder with the wheel turned they way it normally makes the noise and push on the bumper and fender (carefull not to dent it) and see if the noise is still there. Also try to make the noise moving but on very smooth pavement. This should help you decifer between suspension noise or a rotating noise (like CV joint/bearing etc). Hope it helps.

It definitely still makes the noise on smooth pavement when cranking the wheel while reversing. And going over the cross-axle ditches creates the sound too. Thank you! I'll try that first trick.

Did you check your rack and pinion mounts? One could be shot that allows it to move around. When mine were shot and it sounded like a strut popping turning and going over speed bumps. <br />See my Members ride thread on my R&P mounts. <br /><br />Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

What exactly do they look like when they're cracked? I'll have to take the skidplate off to check, and the sway bar bushings looked a little iffy, could it be that?

Thanks again!

Hey karmann, on some of my other vehicles, here is what I noticed when hearing a pop/twang...noise:

On one vehicle, the spring was not seated correctly and every time I turned, it rotated ever so slightly but because it was under pressure, it twanged (a pop with resonance) re-seating the spring corrected the issue.

The way I diagnosed it was by having a friend turn the steering wheel while I listened with the hood open

On another vehicle, the nut at the top of the right strut was loose. Every time I turned left, the geometry changed and the threads on the strut top popped as they rubbed up/down against the strut top hat. This reverberated all over the cabin. I had to replace the strut.

The way I diagnosed it was by having a friend turn the steering wheel while I listened with the hood open. To confirm my findings, I also rocked the car from side to side and up/down at both front corners while a friend watched and listened.

On another vehicle, the culprit was a torn engine mount. I replaced and filled it to prevent it from tearing again, darn Mazda mounts.

This one too a while to diagnose as the issue occurred on acceleration and turning to the left. Eventually, with the hood removed, driving around the block, I saw the engine rocking or rather bucking violently. Mount was so far gone that almost no rubber remained (This on a 5 year-old Protege5 too)

Lastly, I've experienced popping noises coming from my Pathfinder's suspension. One was a worn ball-joint, another was due to weak/torn anti-swaybar bushings. Lately the noise is coming from the new strut boots (these are made of a more rigid plastic which make noise when they impact the top of the strut body as it compresses. Yesterday I was having issues with an axle replacement. The new axles were binding when turning left and every time the axle turned over the cups (inner axle CV) it hopped and made a popping noise.

Diagnosed the joints and bushings by getting under the truck, prodding, pushing pulling, turning the wheels, looking in through the engine bay, checking all suspension components, etc) The axle issue, not 100 % sure yet but have a good lead thanks to rebelord and other great folks on this forum.

In short, I'm just echoing pretty much all the answers given above by others with my experiences. All you need to do now is find the time and a place to go at 'er. :my2cents: If I remember anything else, I'll post again.

Good luck and please post your findings.

• 3 weeks later...