Odd R134a leak

Hey guys,

started to warm up in CO, so I fired up the Old AC and was instantly underwhelmed. per my cool little refill bottle guage, only about 10PSI in the thing on the low. I refilled it, and a couple days later same thing.

Bought a Dye kit and ran it, and as far as I can tell, the die is all leaking on the High side where it bolts to the compressor. I investigated all the lines, those all look good, but its definately where the hose BOLTS to the compressor.

I went to the JY and looked, and there a little O ring there, perhaps that has gone bad? The hoses arent cheap from Autozone or the Dealer, so I'm tempted to just replace the oring (snagged a couple at the PnP).

What do you think? Does that sound legit? Other side of the equation is I dont replace the hose, do replace the O-Ring, and then pay Pepboys $120 to refill the system and it all leaks out again.

Thoughts?

Mike

Edited by Inyourface1650

I wouldnt use a used O-ring.....looking at the courtesyparts diagram here....

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-wd21-1987-1995/genuine-nissan-parts/body-electrical/276-condensor-liquid-tank/-c-5572_5573_5611_5634.html

There are 2 different o-rings depending on which hose it is. It looks like courtesy charges under 2 bucks, so I'd try that first. Check your local dealer, it cant be more than 3-4 bucks. I'd say ring up Alkorahil but shipping probably wouldnt be worth it. Although he might be able to just dump it in a envelope?

If you have refilled it yourself why are you paying Pepboys $120 to do it?

Edited by Trogdor636

FWIW I got an o-ring kit (a pack with the right rings for every fitting) for about 10 dollars at a parts store. I changed all mine and no more leaks. If you have the system open you "should" replace the drier, I did, but only because it was really old.

Hey trogdor, you can add fluid in the case of a leak ok with just a gauge on the low side, but if you open the system all the way you really need a proper manifold set and a vacuum pump. Our parts stores will lend you the pump but not the manifold... Adamzan thanks for the tip! I'll check out auto zone.

Scratch that, no-one in CO will rent you a vaccumn pump. damn hippies. They'll sell you the manifold, the hoses, the gasket kit, and the freon, but no vaccum pumps. We used to rent them in AZ all the time.

I got a little Air compressor one from HF for $20, but I'm not super excited that my OBA will be able to power it.

Well i ended up popping both hoses off and replacing both seals without vaccumn. I figure the hoses were off for 30 seconds so there wasnt a ton of time for moisture to get in there.

2 bottles of r134a and I had 40F vent temps. Lets see if it lasts...if not I found the hoses at Autozone arent bad at all really, only $40each.