Leaking Fuel Tank, 95 Path

tacoman

Hi

I thought I would post some information regarding the common fuel tank leak at spot welded locations.

The problem cropped up about 2 years ago. It was the classic problem of small cracks developing around some spot welds on the underside of the tank. No dripping, just a bad smell. It was fixed using a Permatex kit with fiberglass, thick epoxy sealer (not putty), cleaner and the stop leak stuff. I cleaned it additionally with acetone. The repair looked great. Epoxy was hard with absolutely no sign of leakage.

The leak just started again. The repair is starting to separate from the tank. The epoxy is very soft. I suspect there was a bad reaction from the gasoline. Its disappointing since the repair looked very good. You would expect Permatex to have figured out a material that would stand up to gasoline by now, after all that is their business.

I decided to replace the tank. I purchased a Dorman tank from Amazon. It was only $74 and two day shipping is free if you have Amazon prime. I suspect shipping would be pretty expensive without Amazon Prime. The same tank on Rockauto was $135 plus $60 shipping. Also the box the tank came in says it is an 18 gal tank, not 15 gal as the product description says. I would have replaced the tank insted of trying to repair it the first time if I had know it was 18gal and not 15. I will verify on the first fill up.

Anyway, the tank leakage on this year Path is pretty common and I thought I would share my experience.

John

Yea I had the same problem. I fixed it for a while using something similar, but eventually mine leaked again. I just got a tank from a junkyard and its been great. One of the reasons I didn't buy an aftermarket was the smaller tank size. Good to know its at least an 18. Any chance you took a picture side by side of the tanks? Is it much smaller?

What really sucks is the stock tsnk is 21 gallons not 15.

21 gallons verified. I put 14 gallons of gas in last week and wasn't even near the E line on the gauge. It just had 1/4 tank left.

No welding expert here, but did you consider pulling the original tank, flush it then fill the tank with water and weld the problem locations?

I've had a couple older, trusted and long time friends who have claimed to have done fuel tank repairs using this method.

Alternately, you could probably take it to a welding shop and have them do the same for you.

21 gallons verified. I put 14 gallons of gas in last week and wasn't even near the E line on the gauge. It just had 1/4 tank left.

Why did you need to verify it? I thought it was common knowledge?

No welding expert here, but did you consider pulling the original tank, flush it then fill the tank with water and weld the problem locations?

I've had a couple older, trusted and long time friends who have claimed to have done fuel tank repairs using this method.

Alternately, you could probably take it to a welding shop and have them do the same for you.

Its a weird spot where it leaks. I considered doing what you mention, but I actually snapped a couple fuel pump bolts so my $50 junkyard tank was a decent investment for now. No sign of the same leak.

yea I had same problem on my 95 pathy fixed with jb weld and it's been 13 months with no leak yet plan to replace soon as funds allow me to.Thanks for the input guys over and out in IOWA.

Why did you need to verify it? I thought it was common knowledge?

Nope some people think it's a 15 gal tank. Although 21 US gal is 17 UK gal. Something to make a note of.