excessive oil consumption

Guest nick_k

I'm not certain if this is normal but my 2001 Pathfinder LE 3.5L is losing approximately 1 quart for every 1200 miles. ~ (1L/2000km)

I've checked for obvious leaks and there is no obvious smoke or residue to plugs.

My Nissan dealer says it is normal consumption...I disagree. Any ideas? I've searched the forum but can't find anything.

Truck has 56,000 miles ~ 90,000 km

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

My Nissan dealer says it is normal consumption...

If it was a two stroke engine, maybe.

You shouldn't be burning any oil from a motor with only 56K on it. I'd imagine it's still covered by a powertrain warranty, so I'd suggest the following:

Step #1 - Kick that service manager square in the jimmy...

Step #2 - Look for another dealership...

Step #3 - Go back, show him the new dealer's repair invoice and kick him again.

Hopefully another dealer will resolve this for you.

I have an 01 Pathfinder that burns oil as well. My problem is not as serious as yours but I was going through synthetic at 45k like none other. I switched back to dino and only burned .75 quarts in 4k miles. Does the VQ recommend 10W30 and 5W30? Isn't 5W30 thinner and would lead to more consumption? I have been putting 10W30 in mine but I live in the South where cold weather isn't a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MaasNeotek

Woah - get that truck to a dealer who cares about Quality.

I'm driving at 98 with 120,000 miles + - no oil loss at all between oil changes with 5/30 syn.

Hrm. I'd get that looked at.

I've got an '87 with 161k, uses virtually no oil between changes... time to take it somewhere else. My RX7 did go thru a quart per 1000 or so, but it is a two stroke. You can use oil in them by driving hard, but I've never ran into that with my Pathy. Then go back and kick the stealer in the jimmy again! Now that I think about it, that should be the standard way to deal with stealers anyway... -thnkboutit-