Completed a partial fluid change this weekend... any tips?

Hey so I got the rear diff, and the t-case done this weekend but for the life of me couldn't complete the front diff and transmission.

By the way the fluid came out pretty clean looking of both. The T-case was ATF and still pretty bright red, and the rear diff was still a nice golden color. There is no way the fluids are 17 years and 134k miles old, so the previous owner must have had his fluids swapped out at some point and forgotten. He had lost his receipts that were older than 6-7 years old and he was an older gentleman. Makes me feel better.

I was only working with a 1/2" drive ratchet and mallet and a almost 3' long breaker bar. I was able to get both plugs off the rear diff and was able to get the fill plug loose on the transmission and drain loose the front diff. I couldn't get enough bite on the transmission drain plug though with anything with exhaust and cross members in the way... At one point I was hugging a cross member and braced with both feet on one of the tires under the truck and the bar slipped out... that hurt. I soaked the drain plug in PB Blaster twice to hopefully get rid of anything in there. Any tips? what's worked for you getting that plug out. I'm going to get a 13mm square bit today... Nobody close to me had one on the weekend.

on the front diff, there is so much stuff in the way of the fill plug. The only thing I could get in there was a 6" extension with the 1/2 ratchet but I couldn't get any type of force on it with only the 1/2" tip. I'm hoping the 13mm bit will help that situation...

I'm open to successful ideas...

I just drained the front diff on mine and fluid was still pretty good looking for 200,000 miles and never been changed since I bought it in 97. I know it doesn't get as much use the rear so not as likely to get contaminated.

Sounds like you need a 1/2" extension to get down below stuff for the transmission drain. Alternate, might be using an impact gun with caution and/or some heat around the plug.

I'll look at my front diff tonight to see if I have any ideas.

Soak it a couple times, then wait a week or two, do it again, and wait some more, it'll do wonders.

I did that with my Thule rack. Just kept giving it a little spray once a week for a few weeks, then it came off real easy one day.

Towncivilian, I look at Harbor Freight tomorrow. We have one in town, but I didn't think they would have it. I checked with napa today and they didn't have anything...

It's a little blue case in the automotive aisle. I passed it three times before asking somebody where they were - and the employee just stocked them in front of me! Facepalm.

Print out a 20% coupon and bring it with you, and maybe print out the product info page to help an employee find it if you can't. Google should yield results with the first link - just search for "harbor freight coupons" and "harbor freight drain plug socket set".

Edited by Towncivilian

So that harbor freight set is only a 3/8" drive I noticed. I ended up finding this instead and ordering it last night. This gives me the option to use the 1/2" breaker with a 19mm socket or a 19mm wrench!!

http://www.amazon.com/Laser-1578-Drain-Plug-13mm/dp/B009UE4IEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364919555&sr=8-1&keywords=drain+plug+key I actually ordered one off of ebay, but tons of companies in the UK Selling these. anybody used one?

I use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter to use the 3/8" drain plug sockets, it works just fine. The adapter even acts as an extension depending on the type. I used the 10mm drain plug socket for the plugs on my mom's '12 G37 rear diff, I'm glad I bought the set!

Edited by Towncivilian

yeah I was just worried I'd twist something off necking down to a 3/8" drive as stubborn as its been to get off. The set would be nice, but our only other car that I would need to work is my wife's 2012 Mazda 5 which at only having 7k miles on it should hopefully be years before I have to do anything to it!

I'll let you guys know how it works out. supposed to be 5-8 days to get it... from London!

Edited by TahoeRunner

• 2 weeks later...

Well Thursday I finally received the little drain plug key I ordered from England. What a stinking life saver. The drain plug for the transmission came right out with a 19 mm socket over it and some coercion from a 30" breaker bar. So, 2 things. The transmission was not overfilled as I took out the fill plug first and just a drip of fluid came out. for having over 130k miles I'm surprised that I don't have a whiny transmission or anything. I guess the old people that had it before me just drove it really easy. So I popped the drain plug and drained what it had in it. The other thing is that I didn't have time to go in from the shifter hole, so I jacked up the passenger side as high as I could and was able to get 4.5 qts in it at least. That will take care of it for now. The old fluid came out pretty black looking, which kind of surprised me since the t-case fluid was still pretty red and the rear differential was still a nice golden color.

One thing I will say is after putting the MT90, is that holy cow does it shift nice now!!! The slight catch I had while shifting from first to second is now gone and all the other shifts are much smoother too. That and I got the new exhaust hanger installed and no more rumbly and rattly exhaust!

So now Sarge is in tip-top shape! Now just waiting for funds and time to get a few fun things like mount a roof rack and get a gear basket, and install a tow package... oh and to do a good deep clean on the interior and pour some more MT90 from up top.

Edited by TahoeRunner